free website stats program vehicle alignment | Harley Davidson Forums

vehicle alignment

SLICKSALZ

how can I make sure that the front wheel is straight so I can level up the bike to use my clinometer on the front rotor? I put my bike on one of those atv jacks and used wooden shims under the frame tubes to level the bike via clinometer on the front rotor, when it reads level the front wheel doesn't look lined up with the with the front mount. Soooo the bars must be turned to the left or right, turn them so the front wheel looks to be in alignment with the front mount - recheck with the clinometer and it says the bike is way out of plumb???? I put a bubble level across the frame under the seat from left to right and it says Im way out of level which means the bike is not plumb:bigsmiley19: How the heck do I get the front end perfectly straight so I can plumb up the bike to do a accurate vehicle alignment (to adj. the top stabilizer link) Feel free to I.M. me for my phone # if you would rather.
Thanks

how very strange is this one, this morning I got the front rotor at 89.5 degrees which is all most perfectly plumb so now its time to adj the top link to make the rear rotor read the same. I had to spin that hyme joint in like 9 times. The bolt hole in the joint and the bolt hole on the mating bracket are off set now more than the thickness of the bolt that connect them. I just about needed a 8 ft 2x4 to pry the motor over to get the bolt through :eam now both front and rear rotors read 89.5. this amount of pressure cant be right can it? I than loosened the rubber mounts and ran the bike for 5 sec and re torqued the rubber mounts to specs, than rechecked the rear rotor. I still had my 89.5. The vibe is no better or no worse :eam I have also tried adjusting the top link in the opposite direction and the vib stayed the same :eam I even tried adjusting the hyme joint so that the holes lined up which left the motor in a relaxed position and still no change for better or worse! It doesn't seem to matter how I have the top link adjusted. No change. I wonder if the front end is swayed to one side so in theory Im adjusting my rear wheel to a front wheel that is all ready out of whack. Any thoughts?
Again thanks for your time and input:cheers

Sorry if I confused you guys about all this alignment stuff in regards to my vibration. The questions I have are in regards to the vertical alignment of the wheels,how very strange is this one, this morning I got the front rotor at 89.5 degrees which is all most perfectly plumb so now its time to adj the top link to make the rear rotor read the same. I had to spin that hyme joint in like 9 times. The bolt hole in the joint and the bolt hole on the mating bracket are off set now more than the thickness of the bolt that connect them. I just about needed a 8 ft 2x4 to pry the motor over to get the bolt through now both front and rear rotors read 89.5. this amount of pressure cant be right can it? I than loosened the rubber mounts and ran the bike for 5 sec and re torqued the rubber mounts to specs, than rechecked the rear rotor. I still had my 89.5. The vibe is no better or no worse I have also tried adjusting the top link in the opposite direction and the vib stayed the same I even tried adjusting the hyme joint so that the holes lined up which left the motor in a relaxed position and still no change for better or worse! It doesn't seem to matter how I have the top link adjusted. No change. I wonder if the front end is swayed to one side so in theory Im adjusting my rear wheel to a front wheel that is all ready out of whack. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vertical wheels

Sorry if I confused you guys about all this alignment stuff in regards to my vibration. The questions I have are in regards to the vertical alignment of the wheels,how very strange is this one, this morning I got the front rotor at 89.5 degrees which is all most perfectly plumb so now its time to adj the top link to make the rear rotor read the same. I had to spin that hyme joint in like 9 times. The bolt hole in the joint and the bolt hole on the mating bracket are off set now more than the thickness of the bolt that connect them. I just about needed a 8 ft 2x4 to pry the motor over to get the bolt through now both front and rear rotors read 89.5. this amount of pressure cant be right can it? I than loosened the rubber mounts and ran the bike for 5 sec and re torqued the rubber mounts to specs, than rechecked the rear rotor. I still had my 89.5. The vibe is no better or no worse I have also tried adjusting the top link in the opposite direction and the vib stayed the same I even tried adjusting the hyme joint so that the holes lined up which left the motor in a relaxed position and still no change for better or worse! It doesn't seem to matter how I have the top link adjusted. No change. I wonder if the front end is swayed to one side so in theory Im adjusting my rear wheel to a front wheel that is all ready out of whack. Any thoughts?

Back