free website stats program valve spring clearance | Harley Davidson Forums

valve spring clearance

coopernicus

Contributor
Ok so I got my heads back and of course they have bigger valves in them. I layed the rocker box bottoms on the head and the intake springs are pretty close to the rocker bottom. I have clearance with the rockers and the tops but was wondering how much the springs need. They do not touch and have at least 1/8 inch clearance to the bolt holes on the rocker bottoms. Is this enough?

If this helps only the intake valve springs seem close. I have AV & V valves & AV & V hi lift springs for cam lift up to .625. Thanks Bob

I am having trouble visualizing the area you reference for potential contact but if I am understanding correctly, no issues.:s

.060 is a good number to not have coil bind in a big lift cam engine JMO

Ok bear with me, I'm new to to all this. The way my mind works is trying to cross all the t's and dot the i's. I was thinking about expansion but maybe will be A- OK. I think that I think too much, that's what I think about that!!:lero

I was thinking on this all wrong, you want to know if the installed height of the springs with 1/8 in clearance is enough for the rocker boxes? IMO yes

Jack has got you covered here. There is very little expansion of the diameter of the spring and the 1/8" clearance should be enough.

I was thinking on this all wrong, you want to know if the installed height of the springs with 1/8 in clearance is enough for the rocker boxes? IMO yes

YES Jack that was what I was wondering! OK thanks for easing my mind.thanks to you to hd don!

Back