free website stats program V and H Baffels -stubborn | Harley Davidson Forums

V and H Baffels -stubborn

Have a set of Vance and Hines Ovals( Slipons) on my R.K. How do I remove baffels in order to quiet her a little? Removed screw but baffels won't break free.

frederick J

I'm guessing you plan to wrap the baffles, or change to quieter? Here's what worked for me:

1. Remove pipes from bike
2. Remove muffler end cap(s)
3. Squirt generous amount of penetrating oil in pipe ends
4. Get a wood dowel (~3.5' long & close to baffle ID size) and work them loose
5. Pull baffle out when loose

Good luck!

Like JBC said, just taking the baffles out will definately make the exhaust louder unless V&H (or Big City Thunder, etc.)makes a set of quiet baffles to replace the existing baffles and that is your plan. I could not find any quiet baffles listed on the website but may not have been looking up the right slips ons either?

If removal is neccessary you could try letting the bike warm up with the bolts removed from the baffles and see if they will move then. Or you could use a slide hammer set-up (carefully of course) to convince the baffles to come out. There should be a plate inside the baffle where the set screw is that you can get a slide hammer attachment on to use as in th pics below.

Attachments

• Slide Hammer I.jpg
    Slide Hammer I.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Slide Hammer II.jpg
    Slide Hammer II.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Slide Hammer III.jpg
    Slide Hammer III.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Slide Hammer IIII.jpg
    Slide Hammer IIII.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 137
I'm only adding to this because I couldn't find any pics of an alternate setup for those of us without a slide hammer. I ended up needing to thread a thumb screw though the box end of a box wrench and into the set screw, attach a set of vice grips to the wrench and banging on the vice grips to get the top baffle out. I bet most of us will have these tools lying around if we don't happen to have a slide hammer.

Attachments

• IMG_2896[1].jpg
    IMG_2896[1].jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 22
Great tip Dan! A little PB Blaster helps too....

Back