free website stats program Using torque wrenches | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Using torque wrenches

I believe in Service Manuals, and using torque wrench specs. I can get a little heavy handed also. Torque wrenchs are a great investment if your your own wrench.

On my hog I use torque wrenches on anything I can. The reason being is that I have ALWAYS stripped everything I tighten. I just can't tell how tight is tight.

With the small torx on the harley its to easy for me to ruin it and with the drain plugs and O rings its to easy to over tighten it too. So torque wrenches keeps me out of trouble.

On cars we don't have the O rings, just the steel washer/gasket or some nylon you snug it up and good, but even then I know I over tightened it since I don't use torque wrenches on my car for oil changes

Imagine what it will take to remove/repair a broken fastener, or repair the damage caused when one falls out and drains all of the oil out of the engine. Torque values are published for a very good reason, and you are going to use a wrench anyway!!

The key reason for a torque wrench is that a fastener needs to be torqued to stretch it slightly to maintain tension on the threads and head of the said fastener. While it may seem fairly simple in principal...the fact that fewer specialized tool manufacturers exist should be a reminder as to what a do it yourselfer should have in this tool chest.

Back