free website stats program used pistons, rings and jugs | Harley Davidson Forums

used pistons, rings and jugs

Mrdjn

I have a 76 shovelhead with a cracked front jug, I have a spare set of jugs, pistons and rings from another 76 shovelhead, can I just bolt them on

I have a 76 shovelhead with a cracked front jug, I have a spare set of jugs, pistons and rings from another 76 shovelhead, can I just bolt them on

Welcome to The Forum Check the taper of the cylinders Check the rings for end gap look close at the pistons for wear marks, and check for a cross hatch in the cylinders,

I don't know about the rings. I would get new, myself. Pistons could be fine, but the jugs I would at least get a fresh hone on them.

Note: It is real easy to get those oil scavenging rings on upside down. Be sure to get them in right, or your oil consumption will be confusingly high. confusion increased, if you use synthetic oil. You won't be able to tell you are burning oil. You will just go through a lot of it. (Don't how this applies to older machines).

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thanks for your answers, the piston and rings only have300 miles on them, I hate to be cheap but I don't want to spend $500 for new if I don't have to.

Were the piston and rings out of the other set of cylinders? If they weren't I would have them checked for fitment to the cylinders.Maybe even check the cylinders for out of roundness and needed boring. New rings for a Shovel from HD are only around $20 per piston.
tourbox

Have the cylinders torqued up in torque plates and check for a true bore; if the bore is true then check piston to cylinder fitment; if close enough buy a new set of rings, have the cylinders lightly honed just to break any glaze on the walls; clean them up, assemble and off you go.

If cylinder bores are not true, they will need to be honed to fit a set of .010" OS pistons.

Do this right and you'll enjoy it for miles.
Have the pistons measured, and then check the bores for proper fitment.
If all is well, using a Sunnen, or Lisle hone, establish a good crosshatch, and re-check bore size.
Set the ring end-gap and install them.

Have the cylinders torqued up in torque plates and check for a true bore; if the bore is true then check piston to cylinder fitment; if close enough buy a new set of rings, have the cylinders lightly honed just to break any glaze on the walls; clean them up, assemble and off you go.

If cylinder bores are not true, they will need to be honed to fit a set of .010" OS pistons.

Torque plates are not necessary for a Shovelhead. Cylinder base bolts to case, heads bolt to cyl., so there's no sandwich effect, plus cylinders are steel.

When torque plates were used on a set of Ron Trock 3 13/16" cylinders yeeeeeeeears ago, very minor variances were detected at the top of the cylinder.
As already mentioned, the plates are not really needed for your a-typical Shovel application.

Back