free website stats program updgrades to exhaust | Harley Davidson Forums

updgrades to exhaust

ashenfang

Okay, so I have been looking at upgrading my 883 sportster exhaust to something that makes it sound more like a harley. It doesn't sound bad now, just want a little more. I think I have settled on the Rush slip ons, as I like their loudness and low tone. My local HD has them for $299.99, though I may be able to find them online cheaper. But I do have some questions..

My dealer says to get the exhaust, put it one, then bring the bike in for a stage 1 download ($149.99) to richen up the bike, and also a high flow air cleaner ($149.99)

Now here are my questions:

Do you HAVE to have a stage 1 download for just putting slip ons - on?

Could I get the stage 1 download first, run the bike stock, and then a few weeks later add the exhaust, then a few weeks after that, get the air cleaner? Is the air cleaner mandatory?

Now, bike is still new (only has 200 miles on it), do I need to wait, or should I wait past the 1000 miles to do any upgrades? After the break in period?

And lastly....does any of the above mentioned void the two year warranty?

Thanks a bunch!

thanks hobbit for the reply. I guess when we say lean, I am talking lean enough to hurt the engine, so in that case, would slip ons with stock air box and no flash be too lean? I have seen some people claiming that the rush slip ons have back pressure close to that of stock.

I know everyone says the bikes are lean from the factory to pass EPA stuff in california, but here in indiana we don't have to do EPA checks, so no one gives a hoot.

What are some good air cleaners and management systems so I can start looking at them....do you need to understand "fuel injection talk" to have on on your bike, e.g. high learning curve? Also, best place to get slip ons? or is the dealer price about the price anywhere?

thanks again hobbit for the reply. Should slip on's and air cleaners wait until the bike has passed break in period? or would it matter?

I've been reading as many of the posts as possible for the stage 1 upgrade, so I hope you don't mind if I jump on this thread a little late, but if you do the slip ons, the tfi and new breather, do you still need to rejet the carb, or does the tfi correct that? Or is rejetting the carb a poor-man's version of a tfi?

I've been reading as many of the posts as possible for the stage 1 upgrade, so I hope you don't mind if I jump on this thread a little late, but if you do the slip ons, the tfi and new breather, do you still need to rejet the carb, or does the tfi correct that? Or is rejetting the carb a poor-man's version of a tfi?

TFI is is for fuel injected bikes. If my memory is correct, 2007 was the first year for fuel injection on the Sportster model. Carb re-jetting would be for pre 2007 Sportsters. My wife has a 2007 883L with Cycle Shack slip-ons and the download to richen it up. I have a 2004 XL883 with Cycle Shack slip-ons and a K&N breather. I re-jetted the carb to richen it up. Not sure if that sheds light on your question, but I tried :D

I can only relay what my HD Dealer told me, with the Rush slip-ons (which I have) you DONOT have to do anything on th FI models. I put mine on with only 150 miles on the bike. No problems whatsoever.

If you poll different dealers, you will get varying opinions on this issue. Some say it's OK and others don't.

If any damage is done from a lean mixture, it doesn't show up for a while. It will result in burnt valves which don't happen overnight.

Back