free website stats program UPDATE to "clicking" when applying hand brake. | Harley Davidson Forums

UPDATE to "clicking" when applying hand brake.

Rafaelw

Got my bike back from dealership , they told me the "clicking" is normal , that's it's the brake switch , and they often make that noise,,,,,,, hmmmmmm, . We'll I told them it never did it before. Normal was the answer. Does anyone else agree with this? They did replace the master cylinder top and gasket, because it was leaking a bit. I guess maybe I'm not used to all the sounds Harleys make yet.
WAP.gif

I have had 4 Harley's with brake switches and never heard a click.So Your bike makes a click when You pull the brake lever every time?It is a momentary contact switch and some do click.I just went in the garage and pulled My brake lever on My 2014 and I hear no noise.Makes Me think You should try another Dealer,bike is under warranty and Dealer makes money doing warranty work.
Go give Hal's a try!

Hartoo, I took it to Hal's.... Doesn't do it every single time , but almost . It won't happen if I just pull it, I have to be driving, then when I apply it the 1st time, it clicks.
WAP.gif

That is likely not the brake switch.Clicking would have to do with brake pads.I replaced pads on My 2012 3 times because brakes always squeaked from new.I would get a clicking noise when braking in the front when brake pads were mis-aligned.Look at the pads colsely.Are they wearing unevenly front to back?
Remember that brake pads are a wear item and You may have a hard time getting them replaced under warranty.

My 2000 XL1200C has been doing it since aftermarket levers were installed, and brake light not working 100%.
I just now took the aftermarket off and put in another aftermarket that felt tighter in housing when installing (actually took a minute). I got the pin, bushing, and snap-ring on and it felt strong.
The other after market had lots of play; up and down and in general. I now have no click and brake lights function properly. I put the good lever in but took a photo of the old one with all the play.
Both were ordered for my year-make and bike.
The new lever had a slight bit longer and wider plunger for master cylinder pin the old did not see photo; it’s circled in yellow. Hope it helps someone else. Be careful what you buy aftermarket.

Attachments

• 65781ADB-A48D-4B91-88D9-896C6B506FFE.jpeg
    65781ADB-A48D-4B91-88D9-896C6B506FFE.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 9
Back