free website stats program Uninsured motorist insurance. | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Uninsured motorist insurance.

.. .. .. .. To be specific, the UM/UN coverage will only provide coverage if some uninsured/underinsured driver damages you or your vehicle. The comp and collision coverage already cover your bike's damage. Your health insurance, long term disability income and long term care cover you for medical care, loss of income due to disability, as well as cost of care if you are unable to care for yourself. .. .. .. .. ..
If I came off as argumentative, I apologize. I simply do not feel that UN/UM coverage is a prudent expenditure of premium dollars if you have comp and collision, as well as the other proper personal health insurance coverage I've mentioned above. . . .. .. .. .. .

No need to apologize, I did not see you as argumentative, just did not agree with you that's all. Always glad to exchange ideas and hopefully educate myself.

But again unless you have very cheap out of pocket employer provided health insurance I still disagree, and even more so with the idea that ' you do not feel that UN/UM coverage is a prudent expenditure of premium dollars if you have comp and collision ' .

Least ways in Florida that won't fly in many, if not most scenarios.

Here is why, the minimum liability requirements in Florida (for the at fault driver) are $10,000 - $20,000 $10,000. The first two numbers refer to bodily injury liability limits and the third number refers to the property damage liability limit. The first two numbers in 10/20/10 would mean in an accident each person injured (by the at fault driver) would receive a maximum of 10,000 with only 20,000 allowed per accident (2 people injured both needing 10,000). The last (3rd) number refers to the total coverage per accident for property damage which in this case would be 10,000.

Now 10,000 ain't gonna replace most Harleys (not even mine) but granted (in Florida it's a little strange with the no fault scenario ) my own insurance's collosion/comp will also pay some, if you bike is very old you might be surprised how little. And keep in mind the at fault insurance company is gonna try to pay the least amount they have to (out of that 10 grand max) given the age of your vehicle also.

And admittedly my own insurance will also kick in 10 grand (max) for Personal lnjury Protection which can help the ridiculous required liabiltiy (of the at fault person) amount of 10 grand per person. Nope I've been there and done that, I have underinsured and uninsured coverage now.

RWB.... in no fault insurance states, the laws are different than here in TX. Purchasing UM/UN coverage applies in different ways when you throw in the no fault issue. The comprehensive and collision coverages provide repair/replacement of your bike in the event another driver causes damage to your bike and that driver has either no coverage or not enough. Medical care needed by you or your passenger is something I rely on my health insurance policy to pay for... and I won't bring an uninsured passenger on my bike. In TX, paying for UM/UN is kind of like duplicating coverage you already have if your policy has comp and collision AND you have health insurance, disability income and long term care insurance, which everyone should if they can afford it. These coverages are rather all emcompassing compared to the limited in scope of risk UM/UN.

I've seen both Carlin and RWB's sides of the issue... Just had an 2 hour long 'sit down' with my insurance agent and went over every policy I have to get a overall picture of my insurance situation. I found that with my private medical insurance (GREAT policy with small deductables courtesy of my wife's job), TRICARE (military retiree insurance - not to be relied on for primary insurance needs), current short/long term disability insurance (provided by my employer), accidental death/dismemberment policy (again, provided by my employer), and other vehicle policies combined provided me with the coverage needed without U/UM being added. The key is these are my particular set of needs and current insurances - they do not necessarily match those of somebody else. I do carry more than the liability minimums, but those amounts are based on a 'needs analysis' to make sure I have enough - but not at the stupid overkill level. I had always bought insurance on the 'more is better - 3x more must be great' basis. I had also always bought insurance for specific purposes without thinking if I was already covered under another policy - it never occurred to me to see if my medical policy would cover a vehicle accident. Little things do add up - I had towing coverage on 3 vehicles and a boat trailer (only and extra $5 each every 6 months). Silly me also has free towing for ALL vehicles because of an autoclub membership...

DISCLAIMER - Although I have slept in a Holiday Inn, I am not an insurance agent or CSR certified in all 50 states... Take ALL your policies to an agent you trust and see what you really need!

.... .. .. .. .. .
Just had an 2 hour long 'sit down' with my insurance agent and went over every policy I have to get a overall picture of my insurance situation. ... . . . .. . .. .. .

Yep very well said, if a person was eligable for TriCare or any scenario like it (wherein it's garanteed to always be there during retirement etc) then you make a very intelligent option base. But unless you are pention retired military or Civil Service etc, you won't have this cheap a premium option.

Also the fact that you purchase more Liability coverage on you own, protects anyone whom YOU may injure at your fault, proves you much more responsible than the State of Florida's minimum requirements are. If everyone purchased this as you do THEN THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR uninsured and underinsured coverages.

The only possible thing your scenario leaves out would be a settlement option of a court case and admittedly unless the person at fault owns considerable assets (in which case they would have prudently purchased increased liabilities and/or umbrella coverages) then even that is only going to give you the $100,000.oo or whatever extra you bought for the Uninsured and Undersured coverage.

But in my case (and I surmise many now days with many employers no longer providing at all or making employees pay much of the premiums)
I have no cheap employer provided health insurance nor do I have any retirement based health insurance, I have to buy my own affordable (catastrophic) health coverage. So with me UM/UN is ALL I have.
Oh and yes I have always purchased increased Liability coverages, in Florida they can't take your home but they can take everything else you own if you don't have enough coverage to cover damages.

You did explain the options well though, this should give enough depth for anyone that was previously uninformed on these State wide issues.

I used to be a cheaper premium ignorant one till some even more ignorant one slammed into me and nearly killed me. After all that I wised up some. But admittedly my scenario is not everyone's.

Back