free website stats program Uncomfortable long ride | Harley Davidson Forums

Uncomfortable long ride

TomH65

Hi all,
Not been on here for a while. Hope everyone's good. After having years of medical problems due to my bike being so uncomfortable on long rides, I just thought I would post about my latest purchase. I bought an Airhawk seat pad and lowered my shocks (progressive 412's) to setting 3, and added 3.5 inch risers to my bike. It feels like a different bike altogether. Is there any way to make it even more comfortable? It's a 2005 XL1200R.

Maybe consider a backrest !. I had these on both my Roadking and Electraglide. They were perfect for longer rides , beyond 600 MI, which for my standards is long!.
And add highwaybars , or midcontrols , so you can change your ridingposition now and then , while riding !.
Winddeflectors for less buffeting on your shield (if you have one) would also help.

Ride safe !!.

I agree with Roadking-1960 on backrest, deflectors, but I would opt for forward controls as opposed to mid, I never did like the mid controls especially as I got character with age;)
Welcome back!

I meant if you have genuine forwardcontrols ,add only midcontrol-steps . But when you have midcontrols ,add the forward-steps (highwaysteps) . This give you the opportunity , to change , the riding position now and then .

I meant if you have genuine forwardcontrols ,add only midcontrol-steps . But when you have midcontrols ,add the forward-steps (highwaysteps) . This give you the opportunity , to change , the riding position now and then .

As you said "to change the riding position" a definite plus on longer rides. I put an engine guard and highway pegs on my softail.

Might consider the Harley Sportster Reach seat. I installed one on my 2016 1200C and gained a more open and upright seating position. The bars are slightly wider with more rise and pullback than the stock bars.

Did have difficulty in locating the recommended cables. Did find the recommended stainless ones but only on three different Ebay sites; Harley no longer stocks them. The stock cables might fit, but with your taller risers it would pay to check before committing.

I have a short 29" inseam but even with what Harley calls the 'forward control' position the Sportster can feel cramped. The bar change really helped. I've gone from the stock two-up seat to a Sundowner and the wife bought me the Signature seat with backrest. Each has its advantages but I prefer the Sundowner. On longer trips (several in the 400-500 mile day range) the Sundowner with luggage to lean against was fine. The Parts and Accessories catalog shows these but doesn't show any fitting back to your 2004 Roadster. Reupholster time?

Keep us posted.

Back