free website stats program Ultra's Overheating Stators? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra's Overheating Stators?

TQ & New, should this guy consider people letn the battery die down too?? I got a buddy who has had 2 Ultra's a 95 and a 07, he puts a ton o miles on his bike and has never replaced a stator and never removed the lowers. His wifes 02 Dyna sits for months and has had 2 stators & 3 batteries replaced. Both bikes have Redline in em, both ridden in the same sort of weather. I always kinda thought her bike just sits too much, hence the electrical problems......................

This is a good point. I strongly recommend that folks get a battery tender and plug in when ever they are not out riding. This is especially true for the touring bikes with lots of electical gadgets that put a load on the system. But in the situation you describe, I definitely think a tender would be a good idea.

TQ

As Bubbie found out, your electrical system is BATTERY operated by design...the charging system is made to SUPPLEMENT that power delivery. Once up to speed, the alternator is essentially "coasting" as most of the excess energy is "shunted" by the regulator and battery if in good shape is float charging.

When just starting, the alternator is essentially off and the battery is powering everything, Fuel Pump, EFI, ECM, Headlamp, Instrument, cornering lights etc. and then BAM you hit it with the 250A starter/solenoid draw for x seconds...which immediately takes away the surface charge of the battery (reserve) and the stored CCA within is the only thing sustaining the works.

As you guessed, if the battery has internal shorts, weak or damaged cells, it really will stress out your charging system, so once your stator overheats trying to keep everything running including making up for the battery losses it will fry...plain and simple. Having lowers on an Ultra will have no bearing on local overheating of stator windings.

^^^^^

That guy's good, isn't he!! Excellent explanation.

TQ

Thanks gang, I didn't think it was likely but had to ask. I now feel better about springing 5 bills for the lowers.

This is a good point. I strongly recommend that folks get a battery tender and plug in when ever they are not out riding. This is especially true for the touring bikes with lots of electical gadgets that put a load on the system. But in the situation you describe, I definitely think a tender would be a good idea.

TQ
You guys are ALL GOOD!!!..........that's what makes this site SOOOOO COOOL!

TQ

I have to strongly agree with the battery tender. They are only $20 at Wally World and really should be used if your bike sits over a week without being ridden. A battery for a bike is over $100 now(plus the pain to get it out/replace it), so sepnding $20 is a pretty minor investment.:bigsmiley20:

Back