free website stats program Tyre Wear | Harley Davidson Forums

Tyre Wear

David

Guys, I have a 2007 FLHRCI with 2117 miles on the clock. I intend to ride over to Italy in the summer for a 7 / 10 days which will probably be a round trip of 3000 - 3200 miles. Question is, what sort of mileage should I expect to see out of the present set before they need replaced? I don't really intend to hit much over 80mph during the trip and I will be riding solo with full luggage.

You can expect about 10 thousand out of the rear and usually almost twice that out of the front tire if you keep check on tire pressures. There are exceptions to every rule here depending on riding style and load.

Generally 2 rears to one front is the way it works out.

Thanks guys, not quite used to how these bikes eat & drink yet, so hopefully this trip should help me learn a lot about the bike. The good ol HOG Recovery is always there to call on (just in case)

i got about 10k out of my first rear. have 10k on the rear now and it looks like it'll last maybe another 2-3k. front has over 20k. if it hasn't been replaced by the time i need a new rear, i'll do it then...

if you figure it out what you're doing to get the mileage, please share. :s

i too check my tires and pressure often. i don't think i ride it crazy hard or anything, but who knows... i ride my ride...

I got 14500 km (9000mile) out of the rear on my Deuce,
The replacement tyre only got 100 km. Why only 100 km ?
Riding into a Service centre to get fuel I ran over a rusty spanner laying on the road, that I did not see and stuffed it, I was not very happy.

Interesting thread here guys, Smitty glad you told me to have another look here. Could be a lot to do with different riding styles and ambient temperatures. Hobbit's right about sports bikes, my last bike was a BMW K1200R and I wore out 3 rear tires in under 4000mls, I could gas it down a road and leave a large black strip for nearly 200yds. I think it was after the 3rd tyre that I decided to change the Beemer for something that would allow me to calm things down a bit. Bought the RKC and my only regret is that I didn't do this a few years ago, life is just so much more relaxed. I'll let you all know where the tread depth is when I return from Italy.:14:

My personal input...'08 FXD @9600mi, no tread left on rear. Mine takes a Dunlop K591, and my HD dealer quoted me $240 parts and labor to replace. Does anyone know FOR SURE weather or not nitrogen does in fact increase the mileage?

"just passin thru on two"

I don't think it's the nitrogen itself that increases mileage, it's the fact that it doesn't vary in pressure like air would with heat and cold temps that may get you a few more miles out of a tire.

Gentlemen...I live in the land of the "Grove pavement"...number one its heck to ride on if the guy got a little crazy with his depth setting while grooving it.The State and interstates like 44...55...70..are all grooved. So does this make a difference?..wish they would keep one lane smooth...Everyone knows what I'm talkin about right..I get about 10 k on the rear and 20k plus on the front...but 99 percent of my riding is two up.

Back