free website stats program Tyre Pressures | Harley Davidson Forums

Tyre Pressures

rows10

Just bought a 2009 Ultra Classic and carn't find the recommend tyre pressures in the owners hand book. Anyone know where to find them or what they are?

Welcome to the forum. It would probably be best to follow the manufacturers recommended pressures printed on the sidewall of the tyres.

Be careful using the side wall pressures, they are the Max pressures and should not be run at those pressures. Remember that when a tire gets hot from riding, the pressure increases about 3-4 Lbs , that would put you over the max recommended pressures.

Most touring bikes run 36 front and 36-40 rear depending on the load.

The pressures are listed in the owners manual.

My 2007 FLHTCI has the tire pressures listed under "specifications" . Specifications is listed in the index in the front of the owners book. Like Glider said 36 f., 36-40 rear. Good idea to get real familiar with the manual.

Be careful using the side wall pressures, they are the Max pressures and should not be run at those pressures. Remember that when a tire gets hot from riding, the pressure increases about 3-4 Lbs , that would put you over the max recommended pressures.

I most respectfully disagree. The max pressure listed on the sidewall is the maximum pressure when the tire is cold. The increase in pressure from the tire getting hot from riding has already been taken into account by the manufacturer. So, a person can rest easy filling the tire to the maximum so long as he/she does so when the tire is cold.

The front tire on my RG has 40 PSI max listed on the side wall that is way over the recommend pressure of 36 for my bike. Running it at 40 would result in the tire riding high in the center , that would increase wear in the center and reduce traction.
I would also casue handeling problems on roads with groves running in the direction of travel in them.
Just as running them to low will cause the edges to ware and allow to much side wall flex.
On a tire the size of a motorcycle 4 pounds in a considerable amount to be off.

I wasn't making any recommendation regarding how much pressure should be used. I was only pointing out that the tire pressure listed on the sidewall is cold tire pressure and that the manufacturer has already taken into account the increase in pressure caused by riding.

Welcome to the forum. It would probably be best to follow the manufacturers recommended pressures printed on the sidewall of the tyres.

As been posted before, DO NOT inflate your tires to the max. rating printed on the sidewalls of your tires. Some tires are rated up to 50 PSI (Metzler for one). One of the front frame tube(s) has a decal that indicates the standard specific inflation pressure for your tires, as Glider stated as 36PSI and 40 PSI typically for the front and rear respectively, if you do not have the owners manual handy. :s

My Sporty also has a decal on the swing arm that also states the air pressure settings. Yeah, like lawyer legal speak...you must read the fine print or you might miss something...:newsmile075:

Last edited:
In line with what Smitty and NEWHD74fan have said, please see the following quote from the guys at Car Talk:

"A lot of people check the pressure listed on the tires themselves, but that's actually the wrong place to look. The number on the tire is the maximum allowable air pressure — not the recommended pressure for that tire when used on your vehicle.

The recommended tire pressure is almost always lower than the maximum tire pressure. Check your owner's manual to find out where to look on your vehicle to find the recommended measurement. This number usually is indicated either on the driver's door pillar, the glove compartment door or sometimes on the gas filler door."

And remember to check the pressure when the tire is cold.

Back