free website stats program Twin cam shut down / started right up ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Twin cam shut down / started right up ?

jmoran3

I have a 99 Dyna w/ a twin cam and it has the engine light that comes on sometimes. Every once in a while the engine will just quit,,,,coast to a stop, but then it resarts right away and runs fine after that.
I've checked the codes but they all say d01Clr up to d10Clr and CAL 09. The codes don't want to go away like it's suggested in the code reading techniques.
The bike runs great ( except for the shut down thing but,,,, that's only happened a couple times )

Any thoghts ?

Does just the motor quit, or do you lose all power? If the latter is the case, you may be blowing the self reseting relay. In which case you have to high of an amp draw, or a short somewhere.

A bad battery connection can cause this problem too.

Remove both , clean and reinstall them. Remove the neg first and replace it last.

Thanks, jims87flh. I think only the engine quits because all I did was toggle the run/stop and it started right up,,, I never actually turned the key back off/on again.

Try to keep an eye out if/when it happens again, and see if your lights go out too. And as Glider said, great first step is to check/clean them battery terminals, and visually inspect the cables.

Alos don't forget that the cables have two ends as a source of a bad connection. (most often forgotten)

Ok,,, everything checks,, and the bike ran fine without incident yesterday.

The engine light does come on after starting and stays on for about 10 miles, or so. It does not seem to have any codes stored,,, d01Clr up d10Clr,,,

Question,,,, can Kuryakyn hypercharger cause a cold intake condition to trip the engine light and not set a code ????

I have a FLTRSI 2000 that is keeping the same code d01clr thru 10 . It will not clear. The bike had the same shut down problem and I added a bulliten upgrade mega fuse, per HD. What do I need to do to clear these codes? Al terminals are cleaned and wiring checked.

Back