free website stats program Turning/cornering with Dyna Wide Glide | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Turning/cornering with Dyna Wide Glide

I ride a Street Bob with forward controls. I have rarely dragged my pegs. One day I surprised myself by dragging the heel of my boot in a slow speed corner. The contact with the road actually pulled my foot off the peg. I almost dropped it right there.
You are actually more likely to drop a bike or drag your pegs in a slow corner because of some interesting physics.
The bikes centre of balance shifts more easily to the inside of the corner when travelling slow as centrifugal forces are so much lower. It's actually the centrifugal forces that keep the bike off the pavement in a corner lean. At low speeds the lack of centrifugal forces are overcome by turning the front wheel into the turn (opposite of countersteer). It's likely the increased rake of the WG minimizes the effect of the front wheel turn at slow speeds making it want to dive. Avoid squaring off a corner especially at low speeds and try carrying more speed.

I love Physics.

Glad your OK.

I don't know I have the same bike and scrape the pegs all the time, sometimes just poor technique, sometimes just having too much fun and pushing it a bit too hard. At lease with the forward controls the pegs now hit before my exhaust :D I have scrapes on the exhaust from when I had the mid-controls on. In my mind just a poor exhaust design...

Back