free website stats program Tuning my gen 3 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tuning my gen 3

No other tuners installed, Harleys run lean stock so any modes done after stock will most likely make it run even leaner.

Thats why I was thinking someone might, or should have, added a tuner when the mods were done. I can't even add a hi flow a/c on mine without changing the AFR or it will be way too lean. I need to do something soon, cause it's HOT in Dallas already. 97* tomorrow thru the weekend. Yuck!!!!

Think I figured it out, had a rear tire put on today at the local stealership and they did a free download to see what I have. Come to find out I the bikes been race tuned so I think the gen3 is in conflict with the download. I'm going to call Dobeck tomorrow to see what the have to say.

I'm a little frustrated, installed a gen 3 on my 05 ultra classic and can't seem to get it tuned correctly. Here's what I'm running, screaming eagle heads, 10.5.1 comp, Bassani true duels, not sure of the cams. I'm running the factory settings from Dobeck and it's not doing the job. At take off and low rpm's if I start to roll on the throttle the bike will stutter and sometimes will pop back through the exhaust. Not sure if it's to much fuel or not enough.I tried several adjustments but in some cases it got worse. Also cruising at 60 or 65 and rpm's at about 2800, I roll on the throttle and get some pinging. I'm starting to get tired of taking the seat on and off for tuning! Any good suggestions to get this tuned right.

settings are as follows,
mode 1 3.5
mode 2 2.5
mode 3 2.5
mode 4 .05
mode 5 4.0
mode 6 4.5

Jeff,

This is only a partial solution. I had read other mounting ideas and I knew I would be puttering with the Dobeck a lot.

I mounted mine like this:
ferrousbueller-albums-the+first+harley+that+belongs+to+me...-picture6177-1st_performance_modification_dobeck_e_j_k_gen_3_installed_in_pouch_of_tank_panel_for_ease_of_use_and_discretion.jpg

All the wiring was laced through the back of the tank pouch. Instant access and hidden.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers!
Ferrous

Jeff,

This is only a partial solution. I had read other mounting ideas and I knew I would be puttering with the Dobeck a lot.

I mounted mine like this:
ferrousbueller-albums-the+first+harley+that+belongs+to+me...-picture6177-1st_performance_modification_dobeck_e_j_k_gen_3_installed_in_pouch_of_tank_panel_for_ease_of_use_and_discretion.jpg

All the wiring was laced through the back of the tank pouch. Instant access and hidden.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers!
Ferrous
Very good idea, makes it easy to make changes on the fly.

Talked to Dobeck, today, tec said the gen3 should not be a conflict with my race tuner. he suggested to bring up mode 1 (green mode )up from 3.5 to 5.5 and lower mode 2 (yellow ) and mode 3 (red) to .05 took it for a ride and it seems to have done the trick, no more stutter or pop back at lower rpm's as I role on the throttle. Next is to see if it took care of the pinging at 65 mph at 2800 rpm's as I role on the throttle. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Talked to Dobeck, today, tec said the gen3 should not be a conflict with my race tuner. he suggested to bring up mode 1 (green mode )up from 3.5 to 5.5 and lower mode 2 (yellow ) and mode 3 (red) to .05 took it for a ride and it seems to have done the trick, no more stutter or pop back at lower rpm's as I role on the throttle. Next is to see if it took care of the pinging at 65 mph at 2800 rpm's as I role on the throttle. Keeping my fingers crossed!

good luck hope it all worked out for you....

Update, after several days of trial and error I have the gen3 dialed in and the bike runs like a big dog. Thanks to Dobecks tec's and free long distance we got the correct settings. I was so happy I treated myself to a new Memphis shade windshield.

Excellent news Jeff.....glad you got it sorted out. I just did some TW21 cams and re-tweaked the settings on mine yesterday and it also runs great now. Love the new torque and my Dobeck, they work like a dream together...........can't say enough good things about those guys.:D

Update, after several days of trial and error I have the gen3 dialed in and the bike runs like a big dog. Thanks to Dobecks tec's and free long distance we got the correct settings. I was so happy I treated myself to a new Memphis shade windshield.

Good, now that you're experienced, you can help me install mine :D

Back