free website stats program Tuning issues? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tuning issues?

I agree here you have way too much fuel, always best to be a bit rich but you need to lean on it some, I bet if you pull your oil stick you will smell a lot of un burned gas

I used the stock pushrods.the paperwork S&S provided said that 510 cams could retain the stock push rods.

I have noticed a fuel smell in the oil now that you mention it.I am thinking of just talking it to a dyno and seeing exactly where my afr is through all the circuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed a fuel smell in the oil now that you mention it.I am thinking of just talking it to a dyno and seeing exactly where my afr is through all the circuits.

I think you have enough info determining that the jetting is wrong. I suggest you get the bike running as well as possible BEFORE taking the bike for dyno work. You will be spending alot of money just to find out that the engine is getting too much fuel. I think you know that at this point.

Try going back to the original jets. Then warm the engine up and adjust the mixture needle valve with the rpms at 1,200. Start with the needle out about 2 1/2 turns. Adjust in 1/4 turn increments until you get the highest engine speed from the point where you locked the throttle at 1,200rpm. From the highest engine speed setting of the needle valve, back it out 1/4 turn. Take the bike out and see how it performs. If it seems lean, then try the next size up jets which should be a 46 low, and 195 high. Also, try a couple of #4 washers under the main needle. See how that does. If still too lean on acceleration, try a 200 high. Fuss with it until you get it right. Remember, when you change the low jet, you will have to adjust the idle mixture needle valve. If turning that in or out makes NO difference, the low speed jet is too large.

Once you have it running well, you may still wish to take it to the dyno guys. They may be able to play with the ignition module to adjust the advance curves.

TQ

OK,TQ> Thank you all so much for the info and for taking the time to help out.I am fairly new at this whole wrenching affair and your advice is greatly needed and appreciated.I will lie you know how things go with the tuning process.Thanks again,Ben.

OK,TQ> Thank you all so much for the info and for taking the time to help out.I am fairly new at this whole wrenching affair and your advice is greatly needed and appreciated.I will lie you know how things go with the tuning process.Thanks again,Ben.

You do not need to be afraid of trying this. The Keihin carb is a very good little beast. Simple, but remarkably effective. Check out the reams of info on carb tuning in the self-help pages here:

Fuel and Carb Related Issues - Harley Davidson Community

If you get in a bind, come back to the forum for help. We have lots of folks with considerable experience on carb tuning. Your sense of satisfaction in doing it yourself will astound you.

TQ

I'm with Bodeen.
Maybe a 48/190-5.
BTW that cam needs about 10:1 cr, to get with the program, and could very well be part of the tuning issue.
Bone-stock 88"s, get an Andrews 26 here, when doing a cam-only build.:D
Scott

If you're smelling fuel in the oil, CHANGE IT!!! oil/gas mix is not a good lubricant, bearings and cylinder walls don't like gas. Change the jets back to 45 pilot and 190 main, you said it has an adjustable needle so move the circlip down 1 notch from the middle slot to raise the needle and you should be pretty close to where you wanna be....

Bike performance is sporadic

Hi again,I have posted several times on here and have gotten some really sound advice.It seems as though I am chasing a Gremlin...my 2004 Road King runs good and bad sporadically.One minute it runs great,the very next,it just seems to fall on its face,then a few minutes later it runs great again.I have put a 2 into 1 exhaust on it,which really seemed to help,rejetted the carb to a leaner state-195,main,48 pilot on a CV 40 mm.Screamin Eagle ignition module,S&S 510 gear drive cams,High -flow air cleaner,new MAP sensor.What else could cause a motor to behave like this! I am thinking about trying a new fuel cap and a pingel manual petcock.It seems like the bike runs out of gas around 90-95 mph-plugs don't indicate a rich condition,they are tannish brown and may even be a little lean,needle clip is in 4th slot from top,Took the bike and got it dynoed,(EDIT) 60 hp and 74 ft/lb of torque.tech only said to put a better exhaust on-did that,and recommended a Mikuni 42mm carb.All advice is greatly appreciated,Thanks,Ben.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bike performance is sporadic

195/48 is too much fuel and this is after you replace larger ones?. Something in the area of 185/46 would be a better choice and usually the needle clip( if you have one which would be a DJ kit) ends up about in the middle rather than the top. This is adding to the rich condition. Plugs will not be an indication of mixture since the lead was removed but will show fuel additives instead and give you a false indication instead.

Have you checked for any vacuum leaks?

Re: Bike performance is sporadic

I have checked for leaks,the slide goes up with throttle,the needle is in the 4th from the top slot -- close to the middle it seems.The dyno was before I put smaller jets and went to a 2 into 1 exhaust-thunderheader.I should still go to a smaller jetting? The HD service manual says 190 and 45 are stock for this model.I just dont want to run the risk of being too lean and damaging anything...

Back