free website stats program Trouble with my 02 FLHT | Harley Davidson Forums

Trouble with my 02 FLHT

Mike Bongi

Hi Everyone,
I sure hope someone can give me some advice regarding my 02 bagger. It has 9300 miles on it and well maintained. Just recently a whinning started coming from what seemed to be the front end. I thought maybe something was trapped between one of the rotors so some quick hard stops were tried but no improvement. Concerned it was the engine, while at 5mph I pulled in the clutch, shut off the engine, and it was still there. It seems to be there until the bike comes to a complete stop. I took it to a local independent shop today. They tried re-aligning the brake pads and cleaning them but that didn't help. Now they say it's my (throw out bearing in the clutch)?? They said on the test ride and sitting still the whinning was there when the clutch was pulled in. I am 98% sure it is NOT. I think I had also tried putting it in neutral while rolling slowly, shutting the engine with the clutch released and it was still there.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Or maybe know what it may be? I just do not feel my local dealer is being honest and I want to cover my (EDIT) !

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

I appreciate any help you may be.

Your biker buddy,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

Welcome to the Forum. You will find a great deal of information here in the Self-Help pages, and in the heads of your fellow members.

Please review the rules.

On the noise you are hearing, tough to make that call without personally experiencing it. But no throughout bearing, so try a couple of things:

1. Put the bike on a stand to get the rear wheel off the ground.
2. With the tranny in neutral, rotate the rear wheel and listen for your noise (probably nothing)
3. Pull the spark plugs and put the bike in 4th or 5th gear. Rotate the rear wheel (or have someone else do it) and listen for your noise. If it is there, where?
4. Move jack if necessary, and spin front wheel. Noise?

If number 3 yields the noise, it brings into question the cam chains (more specifically the tensioners) or on the other side the compensator nut (possibly loose and backing out). See if you can isolate at least which side of the bike and front of engine or tranny area that the noise is coming from. Let us know.

TQ

Last edited:
Hi TQ,
hey, sorry about the inapropriate word used and thanks for editing it for me.

Thanks also for the advice. It seems that the whining noise is coming from the dead front of the bike and again, with the engine off, in neutral just coasting even at a walking speed, its a high pitch sound. I will throw it on a stand and walk through your suggestions.

Thanks again TQ

Hi TQ,
hey, sorry about the inapropriate word used and thanks for editing it for me.

Thanks also for the advice. It seems that the whining noise is coming from the dead front of the bike and again, with the engine off, in neutral just coasting even at a walking speed, its a high pitch sound. I will throw it on a stand and walk through your suggestions.

Thanks again TQ

With that in mind, inspect the brake pads to ensure there is enough "meat" on them, and that they have not gotten "cocked" so that one of the pads is making contact with one of the rotors. These are easy enough to remove if you isolate the noise to the front wheel when rotating it on the jack.

TQ

Back