free website stats program Transmission oil 2003 Heritage | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission oil 2003 Heritage

SammyBoy

Have problem shifting into third gear so I decided to drain the Tranny oil and inspect.

I drained what I thought was the Tranny plug(the Haynes Manual rightside on bottom) but my trannyoil dipstick still reads full. Changed engine oil & primary but first time for tranny.

Appreciate any help
Thxs

Thxs Glider that link was great.

Could you lead me somewhere for the shifting into third problem.

Thxs in advance

Could be a number of things, shifter arm height for one is a common problem that requires moving the shift arm that your foot contacts on the spline. Other than that, getting into loose linkages or trans shift fork adjustment there are many reasons for problematic shifting. A good trans oil like Spectro oil will help too if it's a gear oil associated problem. You didn't say what oil you were using in the trans. Hopefully not Syn 3 from HD.

A transmission in good mechanical condition that is properly adjusted will shift fine no matter what oil is used, as long as it is the correct type and weight. Changing to expensive oil will not cure the problem.

Check the shifter linkage, be sure it is secure and not sticking, sometimes the shaft at the front shift levers binds.

Check the lever at the transmission to make sure it has not slipped, it should be tight to the shaft, no wobble at all.

Adjust clutch, both at the center pushrod adjustment and then set cable free play.

If these steps do not fix the problem, you must adjust the shift pawl. This is covered in the manual, but try the other things first.

A transmission in good mechanical condition that is properly adjusted will shift fine no matter what oil is used, as long as it is the correct type and weight. Changing to expensive oil will not cure the problem.

The Spectro oil will improve the shifting of any transmission contrary to what you posted. Many members on the forum as well as myself have switched and did see a noted improvement.

I got a huge improvement in shifting on both our 09 6-speed trannys when I switched over to Spectro 6-speed oil. It was noticeable after 10 miles of riding. Well worth the money.

The Spectro oil will improve the shifting of any transmission contrary to what you posted. Many members on the forum as well as myself have switched and did see a noted improvement.

The poster was asking for a solution to a shifting problem, and no matter what the internet oil scientists say, oil is not the magic solution.

The solution is a little more difficult than changing oil. That is why I offered some real advice.

I notice no difference in shifting no matter what lube I use, that is why I still use regular 70w90.

But then, my clutch, transmission, and primary system are adjusted properly...

The poster was asking for a solution to a shifting problem, and no matter what the internet oil scientists say, oil is not the magic solution.

I notice no difference in shifting no matter what lube I use, that is why I still use regular 70w90.

There are those that regardless of what oil they use will see no difference as you mentioned above. My transmission is adjusted properly and the oil used makes a noticable difference.

I would suggest you save your digs for out in the yard.

Maybe I was wrong.... it's your attitude that needs adjusting, especially when you PM a moderator with your feelings.

Poofclean-1.jpg

Back