free website stats program Transmission leak from lower case stud? | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission leak from lower case stud?

myevotwin

Hi, new member here. I've tried to search the forums first but no luck on this one. Just picked up a 97 Fatboy with 13K. Spotted a steady (few drips a day) from right side shock canister. At first I figured new shock was in order but after doing a thorough cleaning I can now see the drip originates from above the shock from what looks like the transmission case stud where it attaches to the frame. It's hard to be sure until I pull the shocks and inspect further but is that a well known leak or am I way off? I've looked for a source to the left where it meets up with the primary drive thinking that would be more logical but it appears all dry over there.

It's not a common thing to have a leak anywhere but maybe if you could take a pic of the area close up and another a bit farther away, we may get a better idea of just where you are talking about.

Hey Glider, Yeah pictures... good idea. Here are two. One showing the drips this morning ( I haven't wiped them off for a few days) and the other is the closest I could get with my camera shooting through the mufflers.

Attachments

• Drips1.jpg
    Drips1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 133
  • transmission stud2.jpg
    transmission stud2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 148
Hey Glider, Yeah pictures... good idea. Here are two. One showing the drips this morning ( I haven't wiped them off for a few days) and the other is the closest I could get with my camera shooting through the mufflers.

In that pic on the right, what is that tube that I see there with what looks like a spring on the lower end?

That doesn't look stock. Can you back off the camera just a bit and re take that pic so I can tell better where it is in relation to the trans?

At the top most part of the pic where the fluid starts from, it that a sealer of some sort applied there? That's where I would like to see a better pic with a little wider view where I circled it here. Also the arrow, what is that ?

transmissionstud2r.jpg

Last edited:
Yep understood. These should help.

Attachments

• close.jpg
    close.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 83
  • closer.jpg
    closer.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 86
  • closest.jpg
    closest.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 92
OK got my bearings now. I thought you were looking down and you were looking forward from behind.

The leak looks as if it could be coming from the trap door on the trans where it bolts to the case. That's where the side cover bolts on to and it houses the gears/bearings. Have you checked the bolts for tightness? The gasket replacement for that leak would require the trans to be disassembled to replace it.

OK I think I understand. The chrome cover where the clutch cable enters is the transmission side cover. That attaches to the transmission side door (this is what my shop manual calls it... is that the trap door you refer to? I think it is) Looks like there is a series of 6 allen bolts attaching that to the case. I can't get to all of them until I pull the from SE header off. I won't get to that until this weekend and I'll let you know what I find. At 4888 posts I'm sure you've already heard this before but thanks for the advice glider. Owe you a beer next time you are passing through the Rockies.

OK I think I understand. The chrome cover where the clutch cable enters is the transmission side cover. That attaches to the transmission side door (this is what my shop manual calls it... is that the trap door you refer to? I think it is) Looks like there is a series of 6 allen bolts attaching that to the case. I can't get to all of them until I pull the from SE header off. I won't get to that until this weekend and I'll let you know what I find. At 4888 posts I'm sure you've already heard this before but thanks for the advice glider. Owe you a beer next time you are passing through the Rockies.

Side door , trap door, same thing:D

One thing here, unless you are familiar with the dis assembly of that side door, it's not just a remove and replace gasket thing. It involves disassembly of the trans to do this.

They say a pic is worth a thousand words. Here's that side door.:s I think you get the point now :D That long shaft is the part that comes out the other side of the trans case where the belt pulley mounts.

dd6.jpg

In this case it looks like a picture is worth a thousand pieces! OK, if that is where this leak leads me I'll stop at re-torquing those allen bolts and evaluate from there. I've discovered a few other items as I crawl around and under this bike. Traces of yellow curb paint on one of the underside frame rails indicates a shortcut out of a parking lot. Sand deposits from a free spirited beach ride perhaps. Cosmetic items.. fork sliders in need of polish and some of the chrome covers flaking but I'll search elsewhere on this site for solutions to those maladies.

The pic was meant to show you that it wasn't just a matter of removing the side door to replace a gasket. It would have to be disassembled with the gear set as shown in the pic which becomes a rather involved job.

Back