free website stats program Transmission Fluid Migration | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Fluid Migration

If it's any consolation to you , I would have thought that even if your transmission fluid was only just on the dipstick , that would still be MORE than enough to prevent any damage or wear !
Maybe it's simply a clutch adjustment issue !
Considering that these engines are a new design , probably a good idea to get an extended warranty anyway !
Regards

The major thing here is that if I'm correct , the migration stops when the transmission level falls to such a point that it is below the clutch pushrod irrespective of which side the bike is leaning .
The technician would probably drain the transmission and the chain case and not notice that there was too much in one and not enough in the other , but if ALL the fluid was being drawn out of the transmission , then when he removed the drain plug and nothing flowed out , THEN alarm bells would ring !!
That is my understanding as well. I just found this on youtube about it:

Thanks , that was very informative !
That guy is certainly very loyal to Harley !!
The thing that worries me is how do we know how much Harley Davidson knows about this issue but are keeping to themselves ?
A recall on an issue like this could cost them millions !!
And I'm convinced this problem isn't confined to M8's coz I've had it myself !!
I'm very sceptical about all this !
Guys who have this migration issue are being told to go away and ride their bikes for 1000 miles ? The mind boggles !!
Makes me wonder if Harley are just hoping this problem 'goes away' !

Hydraulic clutch,no adjustment.
Message for HARTOO
Sorry , I should have chosen my words differently !
I was thinking more of a clutch issue which affected its performance.
PLEASE watch the video below which CRCKR has posted !
I think it'll give you some peace of mind about your transmission !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks , that was very informative !
The thing that worries me is how do we know how much Harley Davidson knows about this issue but are keeping to themselves ?
A recall on an issue like this could cost them millions !!
And I'm convinced this problem isn't confined to M8's coz I've had it myself !!
I'm very sceptical about all this !
Guys who have this migration issue are being told to go away and ride their bikes for 1000 miles ? The mind boggles !!
Makes me wonder if Harley are just hoping this problem 'goes away' !

I don't know, brother, I'm just not going to worry about things that might happen when I have things actually happening. Right now my M8 scoot is working great and I'm not going to get paranoid about something that isn't wrong. The MoCo isn't going to create a panic by a factory recall when it is something that only impacts a few bikes. I also don't forget that the MoCo angered the Union not too long ago...

As far as guys having top ride their bikes for 1000 miles in concerned... would you prefer that a mechanic/tech rode your bike for 1000 miles to qualify a problem and quantify the severity? Man, 1000 miles is a week and a half or a moth in bad weather of normal riding. I just don't get the objection. Especially since warranty work is covered... My personal problem would be that my bike is my only transportation. I would figure it out or the MoCo would need to give me a loaner.

Yes , I think you're right !
Sounds like you've got a good bike so nothing to worry about .
Guess we'll all have to wait and see what happens about all this !
Ride happy and stay safe mate !

It is strange indeed, they are all made with the same specs at the factory so one would think they would all leak or none would. You would think Harley would have the answer by now.

Back