free website stats program Trailer towing with 08 Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Trailer towing with 08 Ultra Classic

Vibratinharley

I have a 08 Ultra that is stock except for Xied's and some chrome. I am 6 ft 280 lbs and misses is full figured. I tow a trailer that weighs 85 lbs empty and probably only put under 100 lbs of gear in it. The problem I am having is pulling out from a dead stop especially on a grade. I know bike is maxed with weight and trailer but it drives fine going down the road. Is there anything I can do to lower the gearing especially first gear as it seems tall even without the extra weight. Never had this problem with 1340 motor and 5 speed so I guess it was geared lower. Any thoughts?

Aside from changing the trans to a Baker where the ratios are optional, there's only one other way of doing it and that's with different gearing in the primary.
Evolution industries makes a different gear ratio, problem is that there's no compensator in their pulley, that's a bad thing for the 96 crank.

Evolution Industries U.S.A.

I am about your size. Wife and I took a trip to Colorado through all the passes in July. We rode from Dallas, Tx. I pulled a bushtec 4,000 miles and no problem with power. The changes I made to my 08 Ultra was, true duals, rush mufflers, download and high flow. Most want those things done anyway. Just a suggestion.

I am about your size. Wife and I took a trip to Colorado through all the passes in July. We rode from Dallas, Tx. I pulled a bushtec 4,000 miles and no problem with power. The changes I made to my 08 Ultra was, true duals, rush mufflers, download and high flow. Most want those things done anyway. Just a suggestion.

I guess more power would be cool but bike runs great with Xied's ( they do exactly what they are supposed to do) and stock everything else. Trailer is way lighter than the bushtec. I did try Fuelpack and Python slip ons but tiny performance gain wasn't worth the extra noise. Bike cruises fine, just having a problem starting out. I have to look into compensating sprocket as it is very noisy and I think it might be loose.

When I bought my new 1988 FLT(now FLHS) I pulled my wife and I and trailer through the Smokies up to Illinois and many other trips on a stock EVO. As with all towed trailers you have to balance the load, keep the tires on the Harley and the trailer aired correctly, no slaming on the brakes, etc. You know, the common rules for towing a trailer with a car. Your '08 will do fine. Fossil

I noticed in my owners manual that the MOCO does not recommend their bikes for towing a trailer. I suppose if the trailer had electrical brakes it would make a difference. There is just something about all that trailer weight and extra cargo being in motion and having to make a quick stop that gives me the hebe jebbies. I see lots of people pulling trailers and I must admit that having all that extra stuff would be tantalizing, I just can not get that image of a jack knifed trailer coming around to the front of a motocycle at 60 mph out of my head. Call me crazy but I just don't have the tea bags any more.

Back