free website stats program Touring Tires | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring Tires

Check out the tire manufacturers sites. They recommend staying with the same brand/type tires on front and rear.

Check out the tire manufacturers sites. They recommend staying with the same brand/type tires on front and rear.

I agree with the not mixing them on a car, but on a bike I just don't think it's that big of a deal. I got 75,000 miles on a bike and very rarely had the same brand of tire on the front and back. I wouldn't have one that's drastically different, and I'm not saying that it doesn't make a difference at all, it's just not a difference that I can notice. Right now I've got a Metzler on the front and an Avon on the back, When I change the Avon out I'm gonna go with a Metzler, If I like I'll stay with it next time, if not back to the Dunlop.

For the record, this is just my opinion, and I'm not saying running the same brand on the front and back is definitely not a better option, Just that I've mixed brands a lot and never crashed because of it.

NOt sure I'd agree witht he Metzlers being horrible rain tires. I ride in all weather and find the Metzlers to be an all round good tire. I did runa set of Continentals and hated them, when the back one wore out, I changed the front one as well.

AS others have said, it's like oil or car brands, pick whichever suits your fancy

Ride safe
Bubba

I like the Metzelers... and I think they do better than the Dunlops (for me) in the rain.

On my 02 RK, the 880's made the old girl run like she lost a hundred pounds! I don't ride "geezerly", and I don't rid my RK like it is a HD... but that is just me. I run higher speed, long distance, with lots of swooping curves and exit / entrance ramps on highways.

Actually looks like I don't have a choice at all. The Dunlaps that are on there I believe were designed for the 09 touring models the tire is the Dunlap 407. I can't find any tires out there that have the same tire size 180/65 B16 without changing the aspect ratio which I don't want to do as I love the way the bike rides currently. Oh well back the stealer, better stretch so I don't pull a muscle bending over.

thanks for the all info

I was just going to say that I read a thread about the special Dunlop tire model, compound and size for the 2009 baggers, and the OEMs have not come out yet with direct replacements. Also, if you pick up a nail within a 1/4 inch or so of the sidewall-tread radius, the tire must be replaced (it is too near the point of flexure) where the belt reinforcment on tread meet the bias ply sidewall seams and where tread separation/heating is always a potential problem and place where patches/plugs "walk", causing sudden deflation. Don't take a chance :(

Back