free website stats program touring bike question | Harley Davidson Forums

touring bike question

horatio

When I look at a picture of a touring motorcycle there is a pipe or something between the front tire and the frame. What is it? It is in front of the forward controls and just circles back to itself. Is it for safety, for putting your feet on to stretch out, for something else.

Sorry for a stupid question, but if I get an answer I will not have to be stupid on that subject any longer.

Thanks

horatio; I believe you're describing what's called a "crash bar" or "engine guard" which is standard on all touring bikes.

horatio; I believe you're describing what's called a "crash bar" or "engine guard" which is standard on all touring bikes.

I was thinking it might be some kind of crash bar but could not think how it would work. How come it is not on other types of Harleys?

Thanks for the answer.

Crash bars can be applied to nearly every HD model, they're not just for Touring bikes and they're not only on touring bikes.

It is a crashbar that will protect the bike and rider in case of a mishap. For legal reasons it is an engine guard. Riders will mount hiway foot pegs to it
Ken

It is a crashbar that will protect the bike and rider in case of a mishap. For legal reasons it is an engine guard. Riders will mount hiway foot pegs to it
Ken

so if I were to buy a Dyna with mid controls and wanted to stretch out my legs on a long ride, I could buy one of these guards and put pegs on them?

There are other brands rather then just H/D bars. Lindy makes a bar also that riders will rest their feet on, their bar is shipped like Harleys bar and shield logo
Ken

so if I were to buy a Dyna with mid controls and wanted to stretch out my legs on a long ride, I could buy one of these guards and put pegs on them?

Yes... For me they are a must have option. Can save your bike from worse damage when you happen to drop it and save a leg from being pinned under the motor if you are unlucky enough to not get out of the way.

After my Streetbob got hit from behind and knocked over I installed a crash bar, I like the looks and it gives me an extra place to hang my feet:s

Back