free website stats program Touch-up | Harley Davidson Forums

Touch-up

FatBoyJim

Is there such a thing as touch-up paint for older bikes, i.e. my '99 Fat Boy? Got a scratch on the gas tank and would love to hear there's a paint pen available to make it less noticeable.

Yours could be glass but I think the newer ones are some sort of ABS plastic. It's going to be difficult to fill the scratches and then touch it up and have it look like anything good. I think before doing that I would fill the scratches with touch up and let it dry good, then reapply more and see how high you can build it up, then polish it out if it looks OK.
I've done this on a few and it turned out well. I usually fill the scratches and after the final application, I use a cloth with some lacquer thinner on it and one quick wipe (don't go back again) over the touch up will take down the high spots and smooth it out. If it requires more wiping. let it dry a bit overnight and one more quick while with the thinners on a rag over your finger, followed by a polishing after completely dry.
The thinners shouldn't effect the factory paint but test it in a spot where it isn't obvious first.

The key is to let it dry between all the applications and wiping also before polishing.

Another rather inexpensive option is the wifes nail polish.Thousands of colors to choose from,inexpensive enamel, dryes glossy and comes with the brush.

Back