free website stats program Tools required for primary removal/work | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tools required for primary removal/work

I agree with Brian - I wouldn't use an impact wrench on the compensator nut unless you were already planning on replacing the rotor and magnets.

An overnight soaking with PB Blaster, some heat, and a long breaker bar got mine off.

Ole Brian will say a wee bit of this and wee bit that, but he has a whole bunch of good wisdom stored up in that brain of his.

Blimey, I would say in that Biggie brain, but I've learned that Biggie in the UK does not necessary only denote large capacity. I read once that is is why Wendy's menu is not particularly popular over there.

But yes I'm glad to have learned that before I have to do my comp.

Just in regards to the starter. I round this to be the biggest pain for me. In general I just took the bolts off from the one side and then continued working on the primary side. Just took a good bit of wiggling. I'm sure I did not do it perfect, but got her all back together ok and she still runs beautifully.

To get the starter bolts out i use a 3/8" square drive allen head with a few wobble extension bars to get at the bolts from the right side of the bike a good source of light and a few choice words not repeatable on this forum may be required to get the allen head seated in the bolt as the wobble extensions can be a wee bit tricky to aim but they should fit
always take note of the way round the wee extension from the starter motor to the head goes between the starter and the inner primary as it will fit either way round but only works if fitted correctly as it is a bit of a pest having got it all back together to find the starter motor does not turn the engine

Brian

Back