free website stats program Tools for my Harley | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tools for my Harley

Like everyone else said, the first 2 necessary items are the service manual and a torque wrench or two.

If you don't want to go out and buy everything at once, you just have to accept the fact that as you research each job or mod you want to do, you'll probably have to go out and get something specific to that job. It adds time but don't be tempted to take shortcuts and make do with what you have. Nothing like messing around trying to improvise and then going out and getting the proper tool and seeing how easy the task becomes!

Oh, does patience count as a tool? It can't be purchased but you shouldn't tackle ANY project if you're under any kind of time constraints or stress. Working on your bike should be a joy, not a chore.

Like everyone else said, the first 2 necessary items are the service manual and a torque wrench or two.

If you don't want to go out and buy everything at once, you just have to accept the fact that as you research each job or mod you want to do, you'll probably have to go out and get something specific to that job. It adds time but don't be tempted to take shortcuts and make do with what you have. Nothing like messing around trying to improvise and then going out and getting the proper tool and seeing how easy the task becomes!

Oh, does patience count as a tool? It can't be purchased but you shouldn't tackle ANY project if you're under any kind of time constraints or stress. Working on your bike should be a joy, not a chore.

I agree, I'm looking forward to working on her during the winter months. I know I need some tools. Just want to buy what I need. I appreciate your feed back. Yea, the torque wrench will be my first purchase. thanks for your help.

I would get two torque wrenches:

One that reads in inch pounds
One that reads in foot pound:newsmile036:

I would get two torque wrenches:

One that reads in inch pounds
One that reads in foot pound:newsmile036:

I agree, and get the plain "Click" type when torque setting is achieved, no need for digital or manual beam types that are hard to read in tight low light places. 3/8" drive you will use most often, 1/2" drive you will use rarely for big job like axle nuts & your truck/auto... :s

Last edited:
12 inch pounds = 1 foot pound

ie: 25 foot pounds = 300 inch pounds

I have found a 1/4 inch drive and 3/8 drive to be all I have needed. I have found on my Harley and airplane I use the 1/4 drive 90% of time. I have only needed the 3/8 because I could not find hex sockets in 1/4 drive, haven't looked real hard though. Get the click type.

Yup, manuals are subject to human error. The 06 Dyna manual mixed up which plug was the tranny fluid and which one was the oil...thankfully I was not the one that discovered that one.

Thanks bwalsh!!!!!
I changed both of mine at the same time so it was no biggie.
I thought it seemed like backwards drain plug placement at the time.
My sporty was a we bit different.
Wouldn't want to be changing oil and overfilling after draining the tranny fluid. Or riding away with no transmission fluid. I likely would've noticed the engine was still full of oil before adding new stuff. But, ..... seems like a major mess up waiting to happen.

Just saw an earlier post by Glider that seems to contradict that there was an error. This is the photo he posted.
Dynaoilpan.jpg

Appears my copy of the manual is correct.

Thanks Glider.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Appreciate the time to tell me what I need to keep my new FatBob in riding order. I also know where to come to ask questions on how to use these tools. LOL. Safe riding to all.

Thanks all. Appreciate the time to tell me what I need to keep my new FatBob in riding order. I also know where to come to ask questions on how to use these tools. LOL. Safe riding to all.

Hello,

Try a local Pawn Shop, or craigslist.org for tools, lotsa good/great quality tools available.

good 'renchin!

Back