free website stats program Too lean????? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Too lean?????

hi everyone, just wanted to know if i have done any damage by changing to a leaner pilot jet like the joe minton article in american iron suggested. i tried it and the bike runs good but i have a few coughs here and there. i had like 4 in one day. it still seems a little lean to me but the plugs look good, but i can feel that it just isn't as smooth as it could be if i'm riding around 1/8 throttle but smooths right out at 1/4 throttle. am i running lean enough to do any damage? thanks

Lang

also i running the richer needle from a 1200 in it as well with about 3 to 3 1/2 turns out with the air/fuel mixture screw. i have a 1250 kit with andrews n4 cams, stock heads, se II slipons, arlen ness big sucker II a/c, twin tec 1005 ignition module. thanks again

The coughs are an indication that you are too lean. Also don't use the plugs as a base line to proper mixtures. They will show a white plug tip except for the fuel additives regardless of how much fuel you put in there after the removal of the lead from the fuels.

Running a 45/46 low jet will usually eliminate the popping out the carb. I also don't recommend the early sportster needle. That needle came from a CV carb that didn't run an accelerator pump and the taper is too rich for a CV with an accelerator pump. Sure it will feel good with the seat of the pants but it is too rich.

Running too lean jet wise will show up the bad effects in the long run. Excessive heat and poor running as only an onset of the problems that will show up .

thanks everyone.... like i said the bike isnt running any hotter than before and runs good just a few coughs here and there and just off throttle. and maybe not quite as smooth as it could be a 1/8 throttle, and when i say that im not even sure it will be any different with a bigger jet, that just might be how it runs. and when i say not quite as smooth i mean its barley noticeable, you have to really concentrate and feel it..... maybe i should just blow it up and then i wont have to worry about hurting it anymore... :p

i think the article was in last months issue, sorry i dont remember the month. i dont have it in front of me right now but i'll look. still afraid i did damage by running it like that. thanks

May issue American Iron Pages 36-40:s

ok how about this.... i warmed up the bike then tried the idle drop method. what i did was started with the screw 3 turns out. i dropped the idle to well below 1000 rpms, probably around 800 or so. i then turned out the air/fuel mix screw and nothing really changed. i got to about 5 turns out and it never really changed. so either the pilot jet is too small or 3 turns was already past the point where i would see a difference. but i would think 3 to 5 turns would still show a difference though, correct?

Read Bubbies thread in post #10 again. The ideal place for the idle mixture to end up as long as you have the proper jetting is about 2 1/2 to 3 turns open. Now refer to post #10 after this.

If the dealer doesn't have the jets you need, J&P cycles handles them.

ok how about this.... i warmed up the bike then tried the idle drop method. what i did was started with the screw 3 turns out. i dropped the idle to well below 1000 rpms, probably around 800 or so. i then turned out the air/fuel mix screw and nothing really changed. i got to about 5 turns out and it never really changed. so either the pilot jet is too small or 3 turns was already past the point where i would see a difference. but i would think 3 to 5 turns would still show a difference though, correct?

It doesn't work that way... TURN IN to 1 turn out,,,,,,,then try smoothjing the idle out from there...IF it ends up at 2.5 then it is probably correct...

The SCREW doesn't KEEP allowing more fuel to the mix.. No matter HOW FAR you go out, there is a limit..... IF IT DID work that way, there would be No Need for the increase of jet size...

PLEASE, just try to go 44 or 45 and adjust from there.. TRY IT..

Now amount of SCREWING the screw out will improve the gas flow.. It is Very Limited....

signed....BUBBIE

3-5 turns out and no change? Bubbie has you covered, and IMO you are lucky the screw did not fall out

If your idle speed is too high, the idle mixture will not adjust properly. Always check the speed before setting the mixture.

yeah i had a feeling i should have had it turned in way more and then started from there. i'll try again tomorrow. thanks again everyone!

Back