free website stats program tomostrow | Harley Davidson Forums

tomostrow

tomostrow

I have a 2004 standard softail. When I connect the neg wires to my battery, I get a spark and a whizzing sound coming from my speedometer for a second. the speedometer needle also twitches for a second then stops. I have pulled the 15 amp fuses to isolate the noise and spark and found the fuse for the battery, when removed, stops the spark and noise. however, all the lights go on when I turn switch to start but the push to start the bike is disconnected by the removal of the battery fuse. There seems to be a drain on my battery, but when I took the bike to a dealer, they said there was no drain. What is causing the spark and noise from speedometer?

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

There is always a small drain on the battery from the ECM and sercurity module if equipped. The key is to measure the amperage of the draw. It is probably a very small drain. The speedo when powered on via the ign. switch will make noise as it zeros itself. My '03 does it every time I turn on the switch, always has. Are you saying that the speedo does this with the ign. switch off? If so, I would be looking into the ign. switch.
Have you had a problem with the battery going dead? How long does it take before it is dead?

Back