free website stats program Tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires

ThaiTed

Banned
Just put on D 402's, and then just after that heard some rumors that they are useless in the wet... ANy comments?

That's good to hear!! I am leaving tomorrow for a trip of 800 km (app 500 miles) and we currently have the monsune rains comming, so I want to know I have a good grip!! Anyway, I guess as always, it's probably more up to me how I handle the bike and being able to stay alert and think ahead...
Someone also mentioned that if you lower the pressure a bit, from the recommended 40 down to something like 35 it will give yuo a better grip on wet roads?? Is this true?

ThaiTed...no worries, as long as there is descent amount of tread 1/16" or more the better in the wet. Racing tires for the wet are not slicks but have "cut" grooves to prevent hydroplaning by letting water squeeze into the cut grooves and away from the contact patch. This is the reason you do not want bald tires in the wet...

Last edited:
Great! I don't have that much experience, and i believe that having confidence in your bike makes you a better driver! The last thing I wanted was to get a comment that my new tires are useless, just before my first long ride on this bike!

Thank you guys! You made my trip and regained my confidence!!!

Thanks Ultat! I am going to join a HOG event called the SEA HOG (South East Asia) event in Krabi and then on to Samui Island Bike week! After that back home to Phuket. Should be lots of fun!! I still hope for nice weather, but I feel confident about my tires in the wet as well!!

Back