free website stats program Tires inflated with Hydrogen??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires inflated with Hydrogen???

I'm not sure I buy the value of pure nitrogen. Air is 78% nitrogen by the way so I don't see an significant difference in 'average' molecule size. I suppose there might be some advantage to not having any water in using pure nitrogen.

If you have someone trying to sell you to use Nitrogen in your tires. See if they evacuate the air that will be in the tire at the time of inflation. If they don't, you're really wasting your time!
Actually, you won't see the difference in using pure Nitrogen vs just air, as it was pointed out, air is 78% N anyway.
T

I started stocking Dyna Beads last April and have not put a lead weight on a wheel since, I have chrome, silver & black weights sitting in my shop that I can't give away now, everybody loves the beads, I'm old school and figured they were just another snake oil thing, reading some posts from some tech forum members made me want to try them, but local customer feed back has made a believer out of me now. One problem I read about beads are if you live in the north country and park your bike in the cold over night, (sub zero) moisture in the tire can freeze the beads on the bottom of the wheel and will make it run out of balance when you first take off in the morning until the tire heats up and the beads are free, Running nitrogen in the tires fixes that problem, some of the local guys have gone to the local Costco store that does nitrogen and they filled their tires for free. If you use nitrogen there is little or no pressure lost, you have to make sure if you take the bike into the dealer for service that they don't check the tire pressure and add air. Some of my local customers that use it, say their tires never lose any pressure and they are very happy with nitrogen, Good enough for me.

tn617s3.jpg

I started stocking Dyna Beads
I use them front and back on the trike. They work like a dream - and no external weights. I had conventional stick-ons before I triked it, and they were always falling off in the heat of the summer. My local tire shop was very familiar with them - they install them by default on commercial vehicles. A word of caution - if you just throw in the bags (which my shop did) it will take a few miles for the bags to disintegrate - so expect some vibration for the first few miles. If you break the bag and dump them in they'll work right away. Either method is acceptable. Another word of caution - their 'filtered valves' leaked - don't use them. Just make sure your valves are at 9 o'clock position or so when you check or air up to prevent beads from getting into and jamming up the valves.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use nitrogen in aircraft tires all the time, but the primary reason is fire protection for landing gear that retract into areas surrounded by fuel cells. In the smaller aircraft without retractable gear, we don't bother.

Really no advantage in a m/c tire except for slightly more stable pressures. This may not be an advantage however because all M/C tire manufacurers take pressure increases due to heat into account using normal air from an air compressor. That's why they always list their pressures as COLD pressures.

if you really want your tires filled with nitrogen find a refrigeration or air conditioning tech. That is what they leak check refer systems with. I have a tank in my van and for years i have been using it in my tires on my trucks and vans.

The biggest reason automotive has gone to nitrogen is due to the tire pressure monitor systems, since the nitrogen is moisture free the wheel sensors don`t corrode as quick. problem with the machines is the are still very expensive for small shop owners, would take 10 years just to pay for itself. until the machine price drops i will stick to air. if you do get the nitrogen recheck pressure with dial pressure gauge before driving . seen to many tires with pressures all over the place

there is a place in california called costco it is a wholesaler like sams club who will fill your tires with nitrogen for free as long as you are a customer nitrogen is beneficial as previous posts have advised with the added benefit of not being affected by temperature ie dosnt change when tires are hot or cold real good when the air temp hits 115 in the summer I will only run nitrogen whenever it is available

Back