free website stats program tire size | Harley Davidson Forums

tire size

Possibly. I think you now have a 140/16(MU85 ?). You may be able to go to a 150/16. Problem would be with Belt clearance. You would only increase size by 10mm, that ain't much. Any bigger and would cost a lot of $$$$
tourbox

I'd look at the belt clearance... Measure from the belt to the tire...

On my FXDS 00 Dyna I could go 150 from 140 with out a problem.

You might be a 150 now...???...

One size number wider REQUIRES a full 1/4 in on each side to fit.
(mine went from 140 to 150) Cleared the belt by 1/8 " Belts were Wider on the Older 00 bikes. Don't know about the 06's

At least that is what I remember...:bigsmiley6:

signed....BUBBIE

I could swear 06 went to the 1-1/8" pulley to allow for a 150 tire. At least the street glide did, not sure about the E-glide. However, I just put a 150 on my 03 and it's barely touching the lower belt guard. My plan is to trim the guard a little bit to give it the clearance needed. Like I said, it barely touches and I could probably ride it as is, but I just don't want some annoying squeak or squeal. I put a Avon Cobra on it and one manufacturers 150 WILL measure different than anothers. I was running a Michelin Commander MU85 which is a 140. Stock was a 130 for 03 and as you can see, I've been able to go wider. The key is to watch the clearances carefully.

The same size tire from 2 different manufactures will result in different circumference in the same size tire.:small3d023:

The same size tire from 2 different manufactures will result in different circumference in the same size tire.:small3d023:

Circumference should be pretty much the same on a new tyre but gets less as the tyre wears
However the width is measured on the tread area a bias (belted cross ply) tyre has a much stiffer and straighter sidewall and the radial tyre has a softer slightly bulging sidewall
Radial tyres need higher pressure than bias for the same application due to different construction type but will almost always have a bulge in the sidewall and therefore may foul the belt where a bias tyre would not
So not different manufacturers tyres are different sizes but different construction types

Brian

Back