free website stats program Tire Pressure Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Pressure Question

What I would suggest is to contact a rep for the tire company you are running and ask them about the use of the MAX pressure as your regular running pressure. Over inflation can do some strange things to tires including causing excessive wear down the middle of the tire on a profile that is flatter than the motorcycle tires. It also reduces the contact patch when they are over inflated even on a bike.

Here's just one of the many articles to read about over inflation.

http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/19422139.html

When I checked the front tire last night, it didn't have MAX Pressure, it did have MAX Load of 783lbs at 40PSI Cold.
On the rear tire around the edge of the rim states....Safty Warning Serious injury may result from tire failure due to underinflation/overloading.Comply with Load Restrictions in owners manual. Maintain 40PSI for dual riding or Fully Loaded. Check Frequently .
By all means check with the tire manufacturer on proper inflation rates for your brand of tire.
I have been going by the side wall and I too get more mileage out of my tires than a lot of my friends, even tire wear ,no cupping and I ride in all weather with no handling problems.

I'm taking the snow tires off the 300 tonight, so I'm gonna check and see what auto tires have on them as far as Max Pressure or Max Loads.

The tires on the car have a MAX load of 1780lbs at 44PSI Max Pressure is what was written on the sidewall

Here's some info I found on Dunlop site...might help in determining proper tire inflation, for Dunlops anyway

CHECKING TIRE PRESSURES IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TIRE MAINTENANCE FUNCTION YOU CAN PERFORM.

For high-speed, fully loaded or dual-riding touring motorcycle applications, inflate front tires to maximum recommended by vehicle manufacturer for Dunlop fitment and rear tires to maximum load inflation pressure on sidewall. Rear touring tires must be inflated to a minimum of 36 psi for light to medium loads and 40 psi for dual riding and other loads. Never exceed maximum load indicated on tire sidewall or vehicle capacity load found in owner's manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always ran 35 up front and 40 in back. Currently have Dunlops on it, but when i'm due again i think i'll switch to Metzlers ME880's (they seem to go twice as far). I'll still run 35psi front and 40psi rear though.
I have a pretty heavy bike (630-650 dry) and i'm 2up a lot.

Here's Metz recommended pressures\
Always inflate tires to the correct pressure as indicated in the owner's manual. However Metzeler North America has found the air pressure suggestions listed below will improve mileage and customer satisfaction especially if a emphasis is placed on running the air pressure towards the maximum as stated on the sidewall. Check cold tire pressures frequently. Correct tire pressure is crucial for safe handling. Over inflation may impair ride comfort and reduce the contact patch between the tire and driving surface of the tires. Insufficient air pressure will result in poor handling and cause a tendency for the motorcycle to "wander". In addition, improper and insufficient tire will cause accelerated tire wear, increased fuel consumption, less control and the possibilities for tire failure to due an overload/under inflated operating situation.

METZELER - Recommended_tire_pressures

what should pressure be?? Someone told 35 in front and rear

Would you believe on your steerer tube (frame) there is a decal that shows you the correct inflation pressure IF you are using the OEM Dunlops your bike came with, visible from the right side on my 2004 Sporty. :D

Hello All,

Recently picked up an 07 Sportster 1200L. Cold tire pressures as set at the dealership are 38 lbs on the front tire and 41 lbs on the rear. The manual calls for 30 lbs on the front and 36 on the rear (for solo rider). Any thoughts on why the dealership may have them set so much different from factory specs? I was really kind of shocked by how far off the front tire in particular was.

Also, curious about thoughts on optimal pressures based on other's experience with similar bikes.

Thanks.

First thing to check for is are the tires on it the stock HD tires. If so.. the dealership plain screwed up. I think the stock tires on that model are Dunlop "Dumbflops" (i'm not a huge fan if you can't tell) I'd reccomend what your manual calls for if thats what you've got on. 30/36... I would go as much as 35/40 if you ride 2up a lot. But never over that.

i just added a tour pack to my 02 RK if i load it and my bags and a suit case with about 35-40 lbs with or without a 135 lb rider what would i do to my tire pressure ?

Best is to follow manual..

usually I go with 33psi front & 35psi rear on my dyna, avg between solo or 2upride. I guess sportster wouldn't be that much different.
For ultra 35 front 38 rear. Whatever brand

I also ride an 02 RK and have found that 40 psi front and rear (with stock Dunlops) works best for me. Gives a much crisper feel to the steering and lessens any wiggle including slotted grooved highways. It works riding solo or two up.
Of course, YMMV.

Ride safe

Back