free website stats program Tire Pressure Monitoring system? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Pressure Monitoring system?

Tire Pressure Monitor System

• Yes

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Who cares, I'll check after I pull off the sadle bag

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many guys ever pick up a nail while riding. At the time it happened, I was a rookie rider with a new bike. I couldnt figure out why the bike was a little loose, until I got home. The front rim was almost touching the ground.

I believe in preventive maintenance before a ride , but this device if accurate, can prevent a minor inconvenience from becoming a total disaster.

I have a tire monitoring system...it is a pressure guage. Personally I like being involved with my bike, like simplicity and wouldn't want a system like that. I have one on my car, changed rims for snow tires and the thing blinks all the time. :newsmile107:

this condition is caused by: the need to reset system or most likley a sensor was damaged during dis-mount / mounting of tire. most tire shops or repair shop like our can scan the system to see location of falty sensor

Didn't read all the posts, but i think you guys are a little behind the times there are a couple companies out there offering TPMS for motorcycles heres one:

Motorcycle tire pressure monitoring system

Check ebay they have em cheap as $125. I agree with Glider though the TPMS on my car is about 5lbs off cheaper and easier to just check them every so often manually.

Smitty, That's ED Zackery why I said what I did about having it incorporated inside the airchamber, and not attachhed to the valve.
Just like the discussion that we had about the screw on caps with the color indicator....They would have to be holding the schrader valve open, and be looking at the pressure all the time, in order to give a reading.
To me, that is asking for trouble, and inviting a leak.

Oh, I agree 100%. You need a reason to get down there and look things over. Just a for instance.....a couple of days ago, I went out to check the air pressure in mommas car. When I got around to the right rear, I found a big knot in the sidewall of the tire. I was not a happy boy, but, had I not needed to check the air pressure manually, who knows??..maybe a blow out at high speed!! Or even just a flat at a bad moment.
Point is, we need a reason to check stuff like that.

Ok so maybe I was a little behind times here. I did more searching and found this site. Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, School Bus Safety and LED lights from Doran a kit from this place is $250.00 but is different than I was expecting, with this kit the sensor can be exterenal or internal / direct type sensor, with a small monitor to view each wheel information. External mounting of the sensor may leed to someone with cards hitting thier spokes thinking they wood be cool on thier stingray, you know the one with the banana seat. I am waiting for the company rep to get back with me on what they can offer. I asked him for information about, tube and tubeless, internal direct sensor, what the monitor looks like and cost for the kit. I am hopeful that a picture will be available. Hope the above web site is right doranmfg seemd to change with my preview post.

I agree with Glider. I don't have them on my Vette and I'm glad. I always check the tires because just like Harley tires, they're darned expensive. Plus, you always have to worry if the bonehead at the tire shop goofs it up when he dismounts and mounts your new tires. They will say the sensor went bad. I don't have a car tire changer so I can't do that work myself. Go on a Vette site and you will see all kinds of complaints. Also, I wouldn't want externally ones mounted on the schrader valve for the same reasons already stated. I'm sure it is just a matter of time before they're legislated and mandatory on all bikes. Not sure how they'd cope with spokes and an innertube. Perhaps they will make spokes illegal...

I check my tire pressure before every ride. I use the same guage and know it is accurate. As a result while most riders in this area get between 7 to 10K miles out of thier tires, for the past 6 years I have ben getting 12 to 15K. Thats the best system for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back