free website stats program Tire life | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire life

not meaning to hi-jack the thread or to change the topic, but what tires are people putting back on when they are getting them changed. I plan to change mine out before sturgis this year and am interested in opinions.

Out of curiosity, how many miles are to be expected from a stock Dunlop rear tire?

The initial tire on my 08 RK, with 9000 miles, is beyond the wear bars, almost no tread left. I figured I'd be getting a bit more since I'm in straight and flat South Florida and don't ride particularly hard.

How do you like riding a slick in the rain? We should be coming out of the dry season soon. I like as much traction as possible when I get stuck in one of those sunny days.

Usually 10 out of a back tire and almost 15 to 20 on the front. Pretty much always 2 up but wath the air presure.

air pressure, and bike loading, rear wheel carries more weight, then add for the tour packs and saddle bags, then consider passenger or not. it all adds up. mim tire pressure check should be omce a week.

I get 8 or 9 thousand out of the rears, also one front for every two rears. I've been using Metzelers on my 03 RK changed from the Dunlops at the first change.I think they're quieter and handle better in all conditions. Alot of two up with a tour pack

Out of curiosity, how many miles are to be expected from a stock Dunlop rear tire?

The initial tire on my 08 RK, with 9000 miles, is beyond the wear bars, almost no tread left. I figured I'd be getting a bit more since I'm in straight and flat South Florida and don't ride particularly hard.

Slicks are fine in dry weather, but I thought you get sudden rainstorms... I would not risk running tires that low, especially when the street has more debris and hazards to run over than a controlled race track. :( Tires are cheap when amortised over the length of their life...it is your ONLY life line between you and the tarmac. Would you want your loved ones to be riding on something unsafe for the sake of 1,000 extra miles?

I've got a little over 9000 miles on EG... Probably 7000 of that was two with my wife... Just gripped 4 on the front and rear with the tread gauge. The gauge starts turning yellow at 3... I've been told to expect 10 to 12000...

Back