free website stats program These Kinds of Encounters Shouldn't surprise me anymore... | Harley Davidson Forums

These Kinds of Encounters Shouldn't surprise me anymore...

Drew

As I pull my bike into the parking lot at the gym the other day, a guy walks by:

guy: kinda cold to be riding, isn't it? (seemingly interested)
me: feels great... as long as the roads are dry it's all good
guy: how much did that bike cost?
me: around $20k (it's an '09 RKC... again, I actually thought he was interested in riding at this point)
guy: that's too much money... you could get a nice car for that much money. It doesn't make sense to spend that much on a bike.
me: (now realizing that he is "one of those"): How are you going to tell me that that's too much money to spend for me?
guy: I don't know, but I've had several bikes, and I'd never get another
me: riding isn't for everyone
guy:Just be very careful (in a condescending tone) lots of drunk drivers out there who don't care how careful you may be
me: thanks for the concern... I know there are inherent dangers. I do all I can to ride responsibly, be aware, and negate those dangers
guy: I don't know... those things are just so dangerous

At this point I was just like, "leave me alone"... what a buzz kill. Well, I ended up having a great workout because I was totall (EDIT) at this guy, and my adrenaline was running. I was one more comment away from getting in his face and kindly asking him to keep his opinions to himself.

These kinds of things have happened before, but this guy just wouldn't let up.

thanks for letting me vent

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

ride safe
Drew

Last edited by a moderator:
Said this before, but ...

"There you go, Man
Keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
Keep on thinking Free"

TQ

We used to take several family Backpacking trips each year. Several hours into the first day we would be sitting on a downed tree taking a break and we would have the same stock conversation about how we didn’t understand why everyone didn’t get out and enjoy the same experience. After a few moments of silence it would be followed up by the comment that it was a good thing because they would ruin it. Next time you run into the same guy tell him he should avoid riding at all costs. :D

Here's one that's worse.. I was in the emergency room of a hospital (1967) having my boot & pants leg cut off after busting up my foot, thanks to a left turner.. & the quack working on me starts a lecture on how unsafe motorcycles are & how stupid people are for riding them. Good thing I had sent several years in the Navy expanding my vocabulary or I might not have been able to respond properly. That & a large shot of Demerol made me feel much better.

My theory - he had one or more incidents that scared him into getting rid of his bike and not riding anymore. May have been other people involved in that decision also. Now he is jealous of others who understand the inherent risks of riding and still have the courage to continue doing it. Nothing wrong with his decision or yours.

I agree with Alamo if the guy really had owned several bikes he would know Harley's don't come cheep no matter what he rode. By the way if anybody has a cheeeeeep Harley for i'm always interested:newsmile100:

People are entitled to there opinion but if you didn't ask him for it he just should kept it to his self.
It's the same thing with my boat, thay'll ask how much gas does that thing burn?
And I'll say 32 gallons an hour.
then thay say, what are you crazy that is insane.
It's my money i'll burn it how ever i want.
I guess some people just don't know how to have fun.
Biking and boating is my guilty pleasure.

My theory - he had one or more incidents that scared him into getting rid of his bike and not riding anymore. May have been other people involved in that decision also. Now he is jealous of others who understand the inherent risks of riding and still have the courage to continue doing it. Nothing wrong with his decision or yours.

I agree, Doolittle. But this guy wasn't genuinely concerned, he took the tone of it's inevitable that something bad is going to happen when one rides an MC. Basically, he was judging me for making a bad decision. I am sure he used to ride, and he may have had an incident/accident which is why he feels the way he does now. I certainly respect that. But he was trying to push his beliefs on me, and even as I was trying to walk away, he was keeping pace with me, repeating over and over how dangerous they are.

I'm over it now... but knew this was the right crowd to vent to.

Still some good riding to be had in Chicago... love it!

Drew

Back