free website stats program The Harley slobber... oil leak from the air filter. | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

The Harley slobber... oil leak from the air filter.

Thanks for sharing Rod, they look like they would work very well. If you go that route let us know how it works.

Does any of the longtime members here remember Mr. Bangood? I remember him vividly!:D

Thanks for sharing Rod, they look like they would work very well. If you go that route let us know how it works.
Can do, but it will be a while. I ordered two and shipping from HK is quoted at 9-20 days!
Once I get them I will do a follow up, if I remember! Being an old guy there are no guarantees.......:rolleyes:

Changed plugs today, took a look down the plug holes to inspect the top of the pistons as best I could. Tops were nice and clean with no carbon build up.
If I wasn't already a believer in external venting I am now.:)

I said I'd provide some followup on the crankcase breather setup I installed to try to decrease slobber from the air filter. I've put several thousand miles on since the breather mod. It's improved but not completely gone. I'm not getting any slobber on long highway runs but still occasionally see some with stop and go riding around town. I haven't seen any slobbering onto my rear cylinder exhaust heat shield (like i occasionally saw before the mod). To monitor how much slobber is occurring, I put a folded paper towel between the bottom of the air filter and the air filter cover after each ride. Typically there's no oil on the paper but occasionally I see some oil on the filter, usually after stop and go riding. Not enough slobber to saturate the paper and drip onto the camcase cover. So that's the followup.

I said I'd provide some followup on the crankcase breather setup I installed to try to decrease slobber from the air filter. I've put several thousand miles on since the breather mod. It's improved but not completely gone. I'm not getting any slobber on long highway runs but still occasionally see some with stop and go riding around town. I haven't seen any slobbering onto my rear cylinder exhaust heat shield (like i occasionally saw before the mod). To monitor how much slobber is occurring, I put a folded paper towel between the bottom of the air filter and the air filter cover after each ride. Typically there's no oil on the paper but occasionally I see some oil on the filter, usually after stop and go riding. Not enough slobber to saturate the paper and drip onto the camcase cover. So that's the followup.

Thanks for the follow up.

You report on what you see but what you don't see is more important. That's the crud that is building up on top of the pistons. That is if you have not modified the venting setup so that it vents externally and not to the intake.;) You can lead a horse to water...........................:rolleyes:

Thanks for the update. I'm not sure what you did to alleviate the slobber but if you are venting to the atmosphere you should not be getting any slobber or oil drops on the filter at all.

If you are i'd check into something else causing it. JMHO. Are you running a K&N filter? Like mine if I over oil it i'll get a drip or wetness on the filter.

So how long does it take to burn the carbon off the top of the piston you suppose?
Id also be curious to know if that motor was running synthetic oil or dino oil?

A couple of rounds of Seafoam through the intake will get rid of most of the carbon. Done right, you can see the flakes of carbon coming out of the exhaust. Oil type has nothing to do with carbon build up or the "slobber".

Thanks for the update. I'm not sure what you did to alleviate the slobber but if you are venting to the atmosphere you should not be getting any slobber or oil drops on the filter at all.

Unless the OP deviated from the plan outlined in previous posts, he did not vent to the atmosphere. The OP re-invented the wheel and came up with another way to vent into the intake......:confused:

Back