free website stats program the dash ? area around gauges , best cleanup techniques ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

the dash ? area around gauges , best cleanup techniques ?

I try not to spray water on the guages but sometimes it happens inadvertantly. If I do get it wet I dry it immediately. Last week I got it wet when I washed my scoot and the "aux" quit working for a bit but it came back after 1 ride. I don't think it liked the water. I like to use pledge or 303 protectant on the inner fairing to keep it from dulling.

i never use water anywhere the dials/radio on my glide damp cloth at best , but remember you can ride in a thunder storm with all that rain and it wont get affected - i know i tried :D

Thunder and rain in England...imagine that...:small3d015: Notice Rob said damp cloth, no faucet needed, just hold it up and by the time it reaches the dash it is damp...! :newsmile025:

As we all know, sunshine has a way of making most plastic, rubber, fiberglass etc. fade and brittle over time. The same with leather and cloth. Aerospace 303 Protectant is a product that comes in a handy spray bottle for easy application. Aircraft and boat mechanics use this product religiously as there is nothing else like it that is readily available. Known as "SPF 40 Sunscreen For Your Stuff" it does work well and is not messy. I use it on my dash, plastic parts, leather and rubber tires including the wheels as it also keeps brake dust from attacking metal. It looks like milk when sprayed on. You just rub it in until it drys and then buff it out lightly with a cotton t-shirt. It is not slippery when dry and keeps rubber and leather from being attacked by harmful UV rays. A spray bottle runs about $7-$8.00. I use it about every 3 months or so and it does work. Probably the easiest place to buy it is at a boat dealership that has a counter where products like this are sold. Boat people use it on their fiberglass and their canvas tops. It does stop the rot and color fade. If your boat dealer does not have it you might try going out to the airport and see if your local airplane mechanic has some. Although these aircraft types usually buy it in gallon jugs for their tires, plastic canopies and windows, they might have some in 8 oz. spray bottles. Years ago I used Armorall type products and found that they do make things shine but after prolonged use they make plastic brittle and it cracks or breaks. 303 does not do this. It makes tires, leather seats, leather coats and pants look and feel like new. Like the label says, it is sunscreen for your stuff. I don't have any relationship with the company, I just like products that actually work without breaking the bank.

"Years ago I used Armorall type products and found that they do make things shine but after prolonged use they make plastic brittle and it cracks or breaks."

Yep, Armor All is (EDIT). Should never be used on your car or bike's plastic parts or tires. Looks good when applied but causes more problems than it is worth.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
303 Aerospace Protectant, interesting...

303 Products, Inc.: 303 Product Information

For many years I used a small bottle of STP "Son of a Gun" which was like Armorall, but had UV protectant before they did...and lasted about 30 days. Wonder how this product performs long term? Gotta be pretty good if the marine guys use it.

For getting in around the gages (like what was originally asked) I use Q-tips. The 303 product seems to work well. I've only used it for around a year or so, so I cannot say long term what it does.

The area around the radio/speedometer/tach and other guages, what is a good cleaning technique for that area.. ( i feel like this is a no water hose zone )
Thanks in advance --Chino

Before pledge I use to wonder the same thing. :33: The thought of hosing it off made me cringe. Even though, like Hobbit said, you can ride through a tunderstorm...

Just spent the afternoon yesterday cleaning my bike from the remnants of the easyrider rodeo. Man what a mess! I washed the inner fairing, gauges, radio, the whole shooting match with soap and water and hosed it off gently.No problems at all. Just make sure the cd player cover is closed and the little rubber plug on the aux jack is in. After blow-drying the water off and drying with a towel...Pledge it! Looks great.:D

Back