free website stats program The Big: "Here's how I fixed that rattle" thread | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The Big: "Here's how I fixed that rattle" thread

Checking ad tightening heat shields at oil change intervals, I hate when they squeak

Let me start by giving this advice.

Don't make the mistake of jumping to the conclusion that something horrible is wrong with your bike if you start hearing a new noise. Consider all these easy, possible solutions first:

1. Did you recently switch helmets, jackets, glasses, or anything else that could cause an unfamiliar noise?

2. Did you pick up a piece of paper or stick or anything that could be stuck out of sight but moves around when the bike is in motion?

3. Carefully check the contents of all saddlebags, tour packs, windshield pouches, etc.

Sensible advice, gear idd makes a world of difference and checking the easy to fix stuff is definitely worth it!

Most of my rattles went away after I started using earplugs :D:s:D

K

I kept hearing a soft "click, rattle" noise. I knew it was coming from the front end. It was the "Heritage Softail" script on the front fender. Pushnuts were loose. Got new pushnuts and problem was solved.

Nice to know! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an intermittent squeak. I would hear it in turns and some times at a stop. It would always come from under the Gas Tank.
One time while cleaning the bike (on the lower left side with the engine on) I finally heard it while it was on the Jiffy stand. I reached up and grabbed the top front engine mount and the squeak was gone. A sprits of silicone spray and I have no more squeak.

Had a rattle that turned into more of a hard clunk on a '06 Dyna. Turned out to be a loose front mounting bolt on the gas tank.

I sometimes get a rattle from the detachable backrest. A little teflon tape around the mounting plugs solved that one.

I had an annoying squeak coming from the back of the bike, I really noticed it while going over bridges and overpasses...the squeak sound was bouncing off the concrete support walls as I road by. I found it was the rear rubber mounts that support the exhaust under my saddlebags. A shot of royal purple maxlube (waterproof) and it is gone.

Had this awful metallic rattling coming from the "front end". Turned out is was the jiffy stand rattling against the frame. A new spring, and a device I found on the internet that clamps onto the frame and uses 'nylon' fingers to hold the stand in place should the spring break. No more rattle.

Im reading along here to this interesting thread and all of a sudden its WISJR,,,The guy from the movie airplane....:lolrolling

I had an intermittent rattle I couldn't find for 2 months.
Every time I shifted I heard the rattle. I checked everything.

It was the idiot gas cap. The chrome top had come loose from the black screw housing.
I bought another one. In 6 months it did the same thing.
I pushed a piece of garden hose washer underneath the chrome cap between it and the black screw mount and finally I am sane again.

I had a very pronounced rattle at idle. Finally discovered it was the plastic lens cover on the front fender light.

Back