free website stats program the 1 question to ask your service advisor | Harley Davidson Forums

the 1 question to ask your service advisor

Ive run shops for years.Theres one question people almost never ask me about their vehicle. Wether its a car,truck,bike or boat.The next time youre in for service,try asking this simple question. You'll more than likely get an honest answer. Its like magic. "What would you do if it were your ....(enter car,truck,bike,boat,lawnmower,toaster,gizmo,etc) ????? I can almost garantee,if you get an honest answer,that you will save money. try it sometime. why pay more than you have to ??

Most service managers are held to bottom line profit, not thinking of the customers saving money. You are right, "if you get a honest answer", you would in fact save money in the long run. Not trying to make any good honest service managers mad here, but sadly they are the minority.
Worked parts counter for 10 years, I've heard alot of "they say I need this, do I?".
I answered them honestly, they didn't.
wilks3
:USA

Most service managers are held to bottom line profit, not thinking of the customers saving money. You are right, "if you get a honest answer", you would in fact save money in the long run. Not trying to make any good honest service managers mad here, but sadly they are the minority.
Worked parts counter for 10 years, I've heard alot of "they say I need this, do I?".
I answered them honestly, they didn't.
wilks3

I lost my job at a high line auto dealer for just as you have stated wilks3. They could not understand how my lead tech continually turned 80 hours a week and in trying to find a fraud or theft problem there the money was always there. It was just we serviced alot of cars because of my honesty. Anyways the reason I lost job was because the books were not showing enough ratio between $1000.00 tickets vs car count. They did not consider the number of new units that sold just because of me advising to not put anymore money in a bad car. So you are correct most advisors have to be creative just to keep their jobs...:newsmile055:

Sorry to hear of another "honest" man going down because of profit. A long time ago we had a owner/car salesman who stated always "I'd rather sell 10 cars and make $50 each than sell 1 car and make $500". And he sold ALOT of cars!!!! He always had buyers for the trade-ins and another buyer for that trade-in and another and another. See how he worked! They just don't make'em like they used to.
wilks3

Usually, when I say, "Ive got this problem with my SHOVELHEAD..." their eyes roll back in their heads or else they look at me as if I am speaking Mongolian. Its even worse with parts guys!

Usually, when I say, "Ive got this problem with my SHOVELHEAD..." their eyes roll back in their heads or else they look at me as if I am speaking Mongolian. Its even worse with parts guys!

Hard to find a tech familiar with the Old iron any more, As for me I will keep my integrity and I would clock out and go home before I would install some thing a customer did not need or ask for:s

Back