free website stats program TFI or not?? | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI or not??

Pipes17

Hi Guys, new to this site. I have been doing some reading on here for months and months but was forced to join today as I can not find the answer I am looking for by simply searching posts.

I have an 08 FLHX that went into the shop this week for a 106" S&S Big bore kit along with a set of the S&S 551 EZ start cams (to be safe on the starter). I am running a 2 into 1 Thunderheader, a cycle visions scoop intake and a TFI tuner. The stock heads went to the machinist (a good friend and a guru when it comes to HD's and Off Shore Boat engine building. The plan is for a nice port and polish along with a tad larger valves and better springs.

My question is this.....will this simple little TFI tuner be able to properly give me what I need with this new build? I know they have a higher HP version avail as well from TFI and Chris has suggested my exisiting TFI might just be fine, but to try it out first....otherwise I could send in my TFI to him and he would upgrade the program on it to the higher HP version from a minimal fee....seems like a solid guy at Doebeck.

But, it seems for a lot of my research on this site, I am getting the impression that the TFI may be to basic to handle this engine build....I have focused a great deal on Sliders and Hobbits postings.

Thoughts???

That bike if it was mine would get a SERT and dyno tuned for maximum performance. You have spent all this money don't skimp on the tuning.

IMO, Chris @ Teclusion is on the right track. Try your tfi as it is, if you need more, let them do the upgrade for a nominal fee. They know what they are doing for stock setups, they probably know modified as well. AND they are not trying to get you to buy a whole new system. If that doesn't work THEN spend the $$ on SERT.

What's the shop say that is doing your work? Do they or some one in your area have a dyno and a tech that is good with serts. I would for sure go with a dyno tune and the sert myself, it does not get any better then a stock HD ECM that is 100% programable, also the thunder headers makes for some interesting tunning getting the dip out of the torque around 3000 rpm, they are good pipes though. If you get the software cd and cables with the sert you can also use it as a diagnostic tool down the road. Let us know what your numbers are when you get it finished.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I am getting the big bore kit done by a solid decent indy in my area (amazing deal for this area). The head work is farmed out to another area to a trusted machinist with a reputation to back it. I am not changing the throttle body (yet) but the manifold is getting a good cleaning up at the same time as the heads. I have a local HD dealer with a dyno but their new in the dyno game and have not yet established a solid rep. I have not closed my mind yet to the TFI unit....I am waiting to hear back from Chris this Monday to see if he can answer a few of my concerns. I am not looking to race this bike, it is simply a bike made to ride (a tad hard and fast, but none the less, still ride). I dont give two (EDIT) about dyno numbers....I just want the bike to run smooth and strong.....I am not a techy fella.....I just want to feel it more than see it. I dont want popping, hiccuping and back firing. I am asking a lot.... :)

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do, it seems to be a question a lot of users of this site have about the TFI's limitations.....I will wait to hear from Chris and let you know his response in the event another member has the same question down the road. I will also work on my P's and Q's (or should I say %'s and $'s)....seems I used an inappropriate symbol in an attempt to clean up my profanity :rofl

Back