free website stats program TFI Instructions* | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI Instructions*

glider.

BOT Machine
TFI Tech support is available here on HDT direct from Dobeck.
TFI Questions Answered By Dobeck - Harley Davidson Community

Here's a PDF list of instructions for all TFI's made by Techlusion.

Here's an installation VIDEO...

YouTube - Techlusion TFI install

Here's a great post about the installation...

tfi findings - Harley Davidson Community

Pick the model number you have and it will download the instructions for the unit.

ALL EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers

Adjustment Instructions here with a video also...

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers

Harley Instructions...

Here's a support forum too...

Explanation and video of the GEN 3 TFI

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, UTV

UNDERSTANDING POT SETTINGS:
The TFI has four adjustable pots which are accessed by removing the black rubber plug on the front. The picture to the right shows the TFI with the entire front case off, but it does allow you to see the four adjustable pots. The recommended setting for each pot varies between applications and vehicle modifications. Consult your instruction manual to check the recommended base settings to start from. These settings are not going to be the exact settings for each vehicle, but are more of a good place to start. The settings are given as clock positions. The picture to the right illustrates a setting of 3 o'clock.

The TFI can easily be set to go back to a stock system without removing the unit. Turning the Green, Yellow, and Red pots all the way counter-clockwise or to a position of 1 o'clock will shut off any fuel addition the TFI is outputting.

TFI_electronics.jpg

TFI_pot.jpg

UNDERSTANDING AND ADJUSTING THE POTS:
Green Fuel Pot: (functions like a fuel mixture screw on a carburetor)
Adjusts for the motorcycle's fuel requirements during light load operation, from idle through legal highway cruising speeds and steady throttle, at or below the rpm set by your rpm set pot. We have found that manufacturers have generally leaned out the fuel mixtures for emissions to a specific rpm (see below). To set this pot, make sure the motorcycle is up to a full operating temperature, then while in neutral, pick a fast idle that is not easy to hold a steady rpm (V-twins 1800-2200 rpm and multiple cylinders 2500-3000 rpm), hold the throttle at that spot and then slowly and evenly turn the green pot clockwise from its minimum setting, while listening to the exhaust sound. You should hear the exhaust sound change form an irregular and uneven sound to an even and smooth one. You may also see an increase in rpm as you increase fuel, and if you continue to increase fuel past this point to where the revs start to fall back away, then you can stop and start returning the pot screw back to a point half way between where the exhaust note first smoothed out and the point where the highest rpm starts to fall away.

Yellow Fuel Pot: (functions like an accelerator pump)
This fuel adjustment adds fuel into the fuel map whenever the throttle is opened rapidly. This pot needs to be adjusted from test riding, by performing brisk roll-ons in a specific gear, and by always starting at the exact same rpm. Try one clock position increases between roll-on tests until you can't feel any more improvement, and then go back to the last setting that improvement was noticed. Some models won't require as much fuel as others, so while increasing the yellow by one clock position increments if the motorcycle starts to decrease in throttle response, then turn the yellow back one and a half clock positions

Red Fuel Pot: (functions like a main jet on a carburetor)
This fuel adjustment adds fuel under large load conditions and is generally required when either air intake or quality exhaust system changes occur. This addition happens automatically using our unique load sensing technology, and similar to the road test procedure listed above in yellow fuel, test riding while increasing red fuel will find an optimum setting.

RPM Switch Pot:
All (except Harley/Metric V-twins) Sets the rpm that the green fuel turns off. This adjustment is achieved by setting the pot to 4:30 o'clock for 600cc and above multi cylinder sport bikes. Each clock position of this pot equates to about 1000 rpm's, so 4,500 rpm's would be half way between 4 and 5 o'clock. Verify this setting by revving the bike in neutral and watching for the green light to go out at the chosen rpm.

All Harley and Metric V-twins Sets the rpm that the green and yellow fuel turns off and the red (main jet) turns on. This adjustment is achieved by setting the pot to about 70% of redline (for example a Harley-Davidson Roadking redline is 5800 rpm and 4000 is 70% of redline) which would be 4:00 o'clock. Verify this setting by revving the bike in neutral and watching for the green and yellow light to go out at the chosen rpm.

Injector wiring colors are...
Front injector...Yellow/green stripe & White/Yellow stripe
Rear injector....Yellow/green stripe & Green/gray stripe

Mr. Data, what if I turn my TFI setting back to all zero in stead of disconnect it?, what happen to the bike? does the bike returns to factory set up?.

Thanks Mr. Data, the reason I ask was I bought my Heritage used with 10K miles on it and it's now has little over 20K, the bike has some mod to it like AC but with factory pipes in it(don't know if dealer removed them or not), I donot know if the bike was flashed/reflashed so I added the TFI and a set of SE II slips-on, the bike run better with TFI set up but I haven't found a sweet spot for it yet, I'd like to compare how it run with/without TFI without remove/reinstall the TFI system.

If it had intake and exhaust mods that were removed and you added them again after you bought it, chances are it had a tuner or a download. If it has a download ( the dealer can tell) the TFI settings will be lower than the recommended settings on pots 1-2-3 for your application.

Back