free website stats program TFI For 09 Bikes | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI For 09 Bikes

glider.

BOT Machine
TFI Tech support is available here on HDT direct from Dobeck.
TFI Questions Answered By Dobeck - Harley Davidson Community

Spoke to Techlusion to find the latest on the fitment of the TFI on the 09 bikes and this is what I was told.

The GEN 3 with the LED lights and push button WILL NOT work on the 09 bikes.

The GEN 2 with the pots that are adjusted with a tiny screwdriver WILL WORK.

Only one hitch here with the TFI and that is ONLY the units manufactured in the last 30-60 days will work on the 09's. If you had one of the TFI's from your earlier bike (pre09) and tried to install it on an 09, it will not work.

Also the bypass resisters are not needed
on the harness plugs that go to the ECU on the 2010 models. From 09 back you needed this, but 2010 does not. The ECU will default when the sensor is not detected/installed.

Now I am concerned I spoke to the tech Line and they said that the Touring Kit for 08s 1252ST WILL WORK Am I Getting a mixed message I have a 09 UC

Please advise as Ii am wanting to install my kit this weekend

Ride Safe
BuffaloBill

Bill (Mr. Data),

So does the info in this post: TFI Suggested Settings - Harley Davidson Community

apply to the '09s if installing a Gen 2 TFI?

TQ

As long as it isn't the one with the lights instead of the pots, it's the same setup procedures for the 09 bikes.

---------- Mr. Data edit/added post 3 minutes and 51 seconds later ----------

I see that you reside in Missouri Cty TX and contribute a lot of posts on this forum and I would like to see if You would be interested in assisting me for $$ in Placing a TFI on my new UC. I live in Sugar Land close to you and i would really appreciate it if you would.

Please call me call me if you are intersted

Thank you
Bill

281-686-8095 Cell
Work 713-794-7392

BuffaloBill

There are many posts in this section below with even video's of the installation. It's a very simple installation.

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

I have a 09 Dyna Low Rider and am thinking of doing a Stage I....air cleaner and Vance and Hines big radius. Will a TFI tuner be a good choice? I'm not looking for any performance (more horsepower..etc.). Just want to get away from the stock exhausts.
Thanks.
JP

I have a 09 Dyna Low Rider and am thinking of doing a Stage I....air cleaner and Vance and Hines big radius. Will a TFI tuner be a good choice? I'm not looking for any performance (more horsepower..etc.). Just want to get away from the stock exhausts.
Thanks.
JP

The bikes come from the MoCo lean already to comply with EPA requirements. Changing out the stock breather and pipes will open up your bike so it can breath better. Unfortunately, that will make it very lean to the point where you could do damage to the engine due to too much heat. So you will have to do something to adjust the fuel injection so as to richen up the mixture. Your options are the after-market fuel/ignition managers, or taking it back to HD to have them remap the system based on your up-grades.

The TFI is a very user friendly fuel manager that puts the controls for fuel management in YOUR hands. Go to the Self-help Tips section and check out the info on the TFI. It is reminiscent of the old days of tuning carbs. You will find lots of info here on it as well as from Techlusion if you choose to call them. Lots of the guys here advocate for that product.

TQ

Thanks TQ.
Wasn't sure if the TFI was enough but from what I read...it seems it would work fine. And it don't costs major bucks either. I don't really want to do the HD and dyno....that would be big bucks...
JP

Thanks TQ.
Wasn't sure if the TFI was enough but from what I read...it seems it would work fine. And it don't costs major bucks either. I don't really want to do the HD and dyno....that would be big bucks...
JP

I think you will find that it is a good choice. Having the Dealership remap the bike might accomplish the same thing (although they tend to run lean after remapping too) this time, but if you do anything else to the bike that affects its breathing (cams, heads, etc.) you have to go back to the Dealership. With the TFI, you simply adjust it the way you want.

Good luck on your project.

TQ

Just so I understand correctly....I plan to get Reinhard slip-ons and SE Heavy Breather installed on an 09 Street Glide. I originally planned to have the dealership remap the ECM before I picked it up. But it sounds like it will still run lean.

So, if I am correct, if I purchase a TFI I can do my own tuning after getting these items installed and do not need the dealership to remap. is that correct? Will I damage the bike in any way if I ride it at first with the intake/exhaust mods without installing the TFI yet?

Thanks in advance for your help.

That's correct, you can tune it yourself using the suggested settings that come with the unit. Running it without the tuner will run very lean and hot. Some dealers say it's OK but it's not them on the bike riding it. They will want to sell you a tuner and dyno tune to the tune of $800-$1000

Back