free website stats program Testing Shocks for busted seals | Harley Davidson Forums

Testing Shocks for busted seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjmoreau

Hey Guys, I am new, so take it easy on me.haha I posted a question a little while ago on another thread but figured it might get more responses this way.
I have just recently purchased an 09 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I love the bike but found that I had trouble placing my feet firmly on the ground. I am 5'9", 5'10" on a good day haha. I purchased a lowering kit (bracket) and when I went to put air in the shocks, I used a compressor (I know, I did not do my research. Used the wrong tool for everything.) anyway, I thought I had everything situated and my wife and I went out for a ride. We bottomed out and I had found that the line on the air shock had blown out of the fitting. I purchased the air pump from harley, bought new line and the two fittings going into the shocks. Yet the system still leaks down. I have been told that I might have busted the seals. I thought I would see oil coming out if I did that. How can I test the seals? Also, if I have to get the shocks replaced, I am looking at the progressive shocks. I ride most of the time with my wife (combined total weight approx 400lbs.) what shock would be best to lower it a little and still provide a good ride. Sorry for the long story, but just happy I have found somewhere to get information after looking nearly 3 weeks. Oh by the way, my name is Chris, haha and I am a PROUD Harley Owner. Thanks for any advice/information yall can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back