free website stats program TC 88-95-106 Upgrade # 2, Starting, Idiling, Popping Issues | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

TC 88-95-106 Upgrade # 2, Starting, Idiling, Popping Issues

I'm running a Daytona Twin Tec TC88 for ignition. It has numerous settings, would it be better to change it due to the upgrades. I know it can be set to multi-spark enabled or disabled.

I'm running a Daytona Twin Tec TC88 for ignition. It has numerous settings, would it be better to change it due to the upgrades. I know it can be set to multi-spark enabled or disabled.

I do not think you need to get rid of the Twin Tec ignition. It is a good unit. However, if you do not have the documentation that came with it, and can't download it off their site, call them and talk to the Tech guys to see what them recommend for your set up (curve wise).

Daytona Twin Tec LLC - Tech FAQ Download Page

But the whole petcock thing bothers me. I suggest getting rid of the vacuum petcock and going with a high flow Pingel. See here:

Power-Flo™ Fuel Valves

The other worry, is how long did the bike sit up while the engine work was going on? Was it long enough that the gas may be bad? You may want to drain and clean out the tank. Also, you may want to take the carb apart a bit and chase all the port with carb cleaner spray, particularly the idle/low speed circuit.

TQ

TQ,
What are your thoughts on it only seeming to be effecting the front cylinder, even thought the whole engine is not wanting to idle.
Thanks!!

Sounds like the timing is too far Retarded. Do you know what you initial BASE timing is set at? Not the total advance,, but the BASE timing. Does this bike have VOES?

Sounds like the timing is too far Retarded. Do you know what you initial BASE timing is set at? Not the total advance,, but the BASE timing. Does this bike have VOES?

If that is single fire you can set each cylinders timing:s

The documentation recommends the setting for multi-spark. This is not to be confused with the old HD dual spark system that would fire both spark plugs, but rather it fires multiple spark on the plug on the compression stroke.

I assume this is your unit?

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/download/TC88_Instructions.pdf

Check out to make sure you have it set correctly. Get the petcock thing straightened out. If it is taking too much vacuum to activate the valve, it could be starving for fuel until it has enough rpm to increase the vacuum to the point where the valve is open enough. I don't like these. It is just to save the rider from having to close the valve on the manual petcocks!!

Call Twin Tec and see what they recommend.

TQ

Thanks all for the replies! I swapped out the intermediatte jet to a .032 since I had one on hand to see what it would do. Well getting much closer after that, I ran the last bit of gas out and filled up on a fresh tank. I'm getting it to idle a bit better and lower now. It is still running good with the throttle twisted and rolling above 50 mph. It's struggling at low speeds while just idiling along anywhere between 15 - 40 MPH. It's not so much a pop or back fire but it's like the engine is running like bom bom bom boooom bom bom, until you pour the gas to it and it comes alive. Sorry for the sad imitation!! HA

Not to much to report, I have been tweaking it back and forth and I have it running pretty darn good. I spoke with my engine guy in the states that slipped the crank in and he said the stroker motor is going to be night and day different than what I was running. With that it makes me feel like it is about as good as it is going to get. The main reason is it runs awesome with the throttle open and I don't have anything like a spark plug knock going on. So I found a dyno here in the UK and plan to give it a run to check it over and see if it's doing about the best I can. Hoping to top my 115 hp run after my 95 upgrade. Will post all dyno charts after complete.

Well, all looks good now! Thanks for all the inputs gentelmen! I put that last jet in and tweaked it to a fine line. Rode it for some time and all seems to be great. I think I will bump the jet up one more time since my window of adjustment is so tight. The cool guys at Ekquire motorcycles ran the dyno for me and suggested that might also fix the low idle tweak I need. The bike fires right up and runs pretty darn good, it just likes a bit of attention while idling. I have attached my dyno sheets to share as well, not to darn bad, right about where I was hoping. The lower one is when I was at a 95" and the upper is the latest upgrades.

Attachments

• DYNO1.jpg
    DYNO1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Dyno2.jpg
    Dyno2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Back