free website stats program tappet noises | Harley Davidson Forums

tappet noises

dd1228

My 02 flhtc with 72k miles makes a lot of clicking noise which sounds like it's coming from the front rocker area. I've already replaced the lifters and the noise prevails. I now have the rocker assy off and see no play in the bushings, however, .010 side play. Could this side play be causing this noise? And would it be beneficial to shim out the play while I have this apart. And where can I get the shims?

Spec. is replace if greater than .025. You are less than 1/2 that. How many miles on the engine, and have the cam chain tension shoes been replaced?

I know this sounds strange, but have you had the front pipe off? I chased a lifter/tapping valve noise for a couple of months until I took the front pipe back off and replaced the HD weave crush gasket with the Cometic C9540 Extreme Performance ones. That did it. It was an exhaust leak that "ticked" and sounded just like a lifter!!

TQ

My 02 flhtc with 72k miles makes a lot of clicking noise which sounds like it's coming from the front rocker area. I've already replaced the lifters and the noise prevails. I now have the rocker assy off and see no play in the bushings, however, .010 side play. Could this side play be causing this noise? And would it be beneficial to shim out the play while I have this apart. And where can I get the shims?

With 72 thousand miles and Breeze asking Have you checked the Shoes? There is where I would put my money....

Worn out shoes place metal to metal and it DOES sound like Clicking..

Let us know the Whens and Whats....

signed....BUBBIE

I know this sounds strange, but have you had the front pipe off? I chased a lifter/tapping valve noise for a couple of months until I took the front pipe back off and replaced the HD weave crush gasket with the Cometic C9540 Extreme Performance ones. That did it. It was an exhaust leak that "ticked" and sounded just like a lifter!!

TQ

I'm with TQ on this one. Make sure its not a minor exhaust leak. The sound is very similar.

Bodeen

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think TQ may have something. I've heard of this before and I did replace my front cylinder exhaust gasket with the OEM one and it didn't make any difference. So now I will try that Cometic one TQ recommended and I'll do both cylinders and see if that works. Wish me luck, cause I can't stand a noise that shouldn't be there and wasn't there last year!!!!!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think TQ may have something. I've heard of this before and I did replace my front cylinder exhaust gasket with the OEM one and it didn't make any difference. So now I will try that Cometic one TQ recommended and I'll do both cylinders and see if that works. Wish me luck, cause I can't stand a noise that shouldn't be there and wasn't there last year!!!!!
Would you answer a QUESTION:

How long ago were the Cam tension SHOES checked?

If they Have Not been checked or replaced that might be the problem....

You say a Clicking sound... Hard for me to Hear but Click is what the metal to chain sound like when the Shoe is gone..

I took time to TRY here and need an answer from you Please..

signed....BUBBIE

Sorry, yeah, I changed the cam tensioner shoes at 60k miles. They were quite worn to say the least. Now with 72k miles, they should still be ok. To try and clarify for you, the clicking sound is just like the old cars that had solid lifters. That's why I changed out the lifters thinking one of them had failed causing a gap between rockers arm, pushrod, and valve stem. So that was a waste of time and money.

Could this be a failing head gasket? Seems to me as the tappets wear on the newer motors so does the crank case not like on the evos and earlier motors

did u install adjustible push rods? or are u still running the stock pushrods? also check for clearance on your front headpipe between it and the frame/floorboard its a long shot but i have seen a front headpipe installed incorrectly and made a ticking noise as it bumped the frame

Back