free website stats program Tank risers........? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tank risers........?

stray dog
The ones I saw are on "flea bey"...but might be able to message em?
Sure does not seem like much of a change though huh? The 'kit' comes with clamps and new cross over fuel line.
Not sure about wire length etc. Got all Winter to think on and study it.......:)
Thanks all...........Colt.45

I recently saw some of these also but don't remember where.

The wires in question run up from rear of tank then up on top of tank, right. Then your really just bending them slightly and not stretching them the length of the lift in front.
As far as the gas line goes, it's to the rear of tank and only being raised a fraction of the distance raised in front (maybe about 1/4 of).

Will a Tank Lift affect my usable fuel capacity?

This is another frequently asked question. Depending on the size of your tank ( 2.1 gallons-6 gallons) and the size tank lift, ( 1.5”, 2”, 2.5”, or 3”), it could possibly reduce your usable capacity by ⅛ to ⅓ of a gallon

However, in the real world, most people do NOT run their tanks until they are dry. Since that is the case there is no practical difference in useable capacity 99% of the time.

With a tank lift your fuel light may come on a bit sooner, but the fuel light acts as a type of “electronic reserve”. Generally there is still a gallon or more of fuel left in the tank when the fuel light comes on.

There are four different fuel gauges on Harleys. Not every model has all of them.

1. Digital Gauge
2. Analog or mechanical Gauge
3. MTE (miles to empty) read out
4. Fuel light.

The digital and mechanical gauges are notoriously inaccurate. While you can get to know how yours works with time, most use the trip meter to let them know when they are getting near needing to fill up.

In our experience, the MTE (aka Fuel Range) gives a fairly accurate reading. Remember, when it gets down to 10 miles, you still will have approximately 1 gallon of fuel left.

As mentioned above, the Fuel light is a type of “electronic reserve” when it comes on you will still have around a gallon of fuel left in the tank (if it is operating correctly). The way to know for sure is to pull into a gas station as soon as the light comes on. Fill up your tank. If you have a 3.3 gallon tank and you were able to put 2.3 gallons in, then you know that your light comes on with 1 gallon left. Do this a few times to get a feel for it.

One factor that affects all the gauges is going up or down a hill, or around a long left hand turn. You can watch your gauges go down even though you have plenty of gas. This is because the fuel pick-up in your tank is on the back left side of the tank. As the level of the gas in the tank is shifted on a hill or in a long sweeper, the gauges will give a false reading until you are level again.

Important Note: In a long left turn, or a steep hill, the fuel light can come on, even if you have a couple of gallons left. When you level out, it will not go off. Once the fuel light comes on, it will not reset until the ignition is turned off.

Now, down to what tank lifts do to the usable mileage. A tank lift could cause your fuel light to come on a little sooner than it did without one, and it could show you have less fuel than what you actually do. This is due to where the fuel pickup is located at on your tank. It is already in a sort of odd place, and leaves fuel at the rear of the tank that does not reach the fuel pickup. When you create a higher angle on the tank with a tank lift, it can leave more gas that will not reach the fuel pickup.

The fact of the matter is, for most, this possible loss won’t even be noticeable. This is because the only way you will notice that small of a loss of usable fuel, is if you drain your tank dry before you fill up each time.

This is from DK tech support DK Custom Products for Harley-Davidson Tank Lifts Coil Relocation Foot Pegs

I have an 07 Street Bob with a 3" lift on the front only.

1) The fuel low light was never "usable" to me. I watch my odometer and believe I get 175 miles out of a tank at 40 mpg.
2) If I had it to do over I would do a 2" which would not require changing gas lines.

Might be too late for this reply, I installed a 3-inch tank riser kit on my 00 FXST. No issues except you may want to try to determine what will happen with the front of the tank higher and what happens in a turn with the lower part of the handlebars hitting the tank. It came real close on mine. Also a big hole appears (the tunnel through the tank) Don't notice it too much. Wiring bundle was an issue. Had to stretch it to get it to fit with the sheathing. Also had to hand pump the tank dry of gas to even start the work. My tank has the equalizing taps in the bottom front. A longer hose needs to be fitted comes with the kit, I had to go get different hose clamps. Worth the work and time (2hrs). It was noticed as ok by others.

Bill
Nope not too late......and thanks for the info.I am going with a 2" lift and my buddy with an FXST is going 1.5"-2" as well.I'll be doing it when warmer weather hits along with riser and bars and re-locating signals.
Colt.45

Back