free website stats program Taming those flapping pant legs | Harley Davidson Forums

Taming those flapping pant legs

Jim B.

How are riders solving the problem of flapping pant legs on nylon riding pants, Frog Togs pants, etc.? It was never a problem on my Goldwing because the pipes were tucked up under the plastic. However, I melted a hole on the right leg of my Frog Tog pants on my 09 Road Glide when they came in contact with the hot exhaust pipe. So are riders tying them down, or covering them up, or what? Thanks.

I wear 1/2 chaps when I ride and they do a fine job of taming flapping pant legs. They also protect my nylon ski pants that I wear on cold rides from melting on the exhaust pipes. I can wear these year around because they don't get to hot during the summer. The protect my legs from rocks and my pants from bug guts :bigsmiley29:. I got mine from Leather Legs . I couldn't be happier with them.
Randall

Hey Jim, I looked on the Frog Toggs web site and they sell a heat resistant patch to fix your leg. "Frogg Toggs Smokin Toad Heat Resistant Patch" other then that, I just wear my leather chaps over the top of my rain gear.... :s

Jim,
I don't have problem with the 'flagging pant legs' due to my lower fairings :newsmile071: however I suspect you can use the same pant leg straps used on bicycles. (I use these at times, when riding my Mountain bike).

Regarding the hole in your Frog Toggs, you can obtain Heat Resistant Fabric pretty much from any fabric store - same stuff they use on Ironing Boards. I plan on putting this on my new Frogg Toggs but haven't yet. Not sure how I will attach it, but I think I will bring them along to Joann Fabric's when I purchase the Heat Resistant stuff. Come to think of it, you probably could attach some of this material to the pant leg straps just to be on the safe side!!

I got a great set of Harley Rain gear off of Craig's List and planned to use the Frogg Toggs during the summer (Not much rain here in Phoenix, but couldn't pass them up on the 1/2 price sale rack). But, if I get around to the fabric project, I'll let you know what they recommend about attaching it.

Hope it helps!!

CatWoman :rider

How are riders solving the problem of flapping pant legs on nylon riding pants, Frog Togs pants, etc.? It was never a problem on my Goldwing because the pipes were tucked up under the plastic. However, I melted a hole on the right leg of my Frog Tog pants on my 09 Road Glide when they came in contact with the hot exhaust pipe. So are riders tying them down, or covering them up, or what? Thanks.

I think it was Steve07 who came up with purchasing heat resistant silver finished cloth ironing board cover, cutting a heat resistant patch to fit and stitch it to the contact area and your good. :newsmile102:

The cheapest fix and fastest I have used in the past is big rubber bands. I know it sounds cheesy, but it works and you can find them at any hardware store or hobby shop.

Now this is an easy fix. Just follow the example of this wise ole owl:
Legging2.jpg

This gent is wearing his leggings. I wear leggings as needed. In my case I made my own using leather. Yes two different pairs. Both are Thigh leggings, but one pair I have has removeable knee panels so I can make them Knee high leggins.

The first pair I made, I wanted them to be custom, and really they were TOO custom. In that folk teased me and called me "Kit Carson...or Mad Max, (didn't keep me from wearing them...just the same). However on a serious note I think Leggings have their application in the sport that we are so passionate about.

During WWII one version of my Dad's Navy uniform called for leggings...these were a heavy canvas type.

If I recall in the reproduction of a 1902 or 1908 Sears & Roebuck Catalog, there are about a dozen different style of leggins you could order from the catalog. So in essence Leggings have been around 100 years or longer.

The other Randall

*And as I have said before...Even a blind man knows a Harley-Davidson when it comes putt'in by.

I think it was Steve07 who came up with purchasing heat resistant silver finished cloth ironing board cover, cutting a heat resistant patch to fit and stitch it to the contact area and your good. :newsmile102:

Thanks - I had previously seen the reference to the ironing board cover material, but didn't remember :small3d007: how it was attached.

CatWoman

I saw an old guy on a trip to Sturgis once wearing bicycle clips on his pant cuffs. I haven't seen those since I was a kid in the late 50's
kemo

Back