free website stats program T-Boned a car this past Tues :(... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

T-Boned a car this past Tues :(...

Hey all,

A little over a week since my accident and I'm close to 110%. Wrist and ribs still a tad sore. Considering the accident I feel very fortunate that all I needed the past week was to eat some advil. No crutches, casts, stitches, or worse... just advil. I still can't believe it.

I enjoyed reading all your posts... and am glad you enjoyed my what-turned out-to-be novel :) I appreciate that some of you shared your stories as well. I think that once in awhile everyone can use a little reminder to take it a bit easy out there while riding... and to look out for other riders when we are not. The car I hit had no idea I was coming... that experience had to be horrible for her.

As far as the Buell brakes... I think they did a heckuva job. I'm not a brake expert or anything but... the truck was going about 30 mph... when I went to go around it I "hit-it" to increase my passing speed... I quickly accelerated to 40~ish mph... as soon as I started passing the truck the car started its turn in front of me... (EDIT) I was still in accelerate mode... so I immediately went from accelerate mode to braking... this takes X amount of reaction time. I went from about 40~ish to 15-20~ish mph at pretty much the blink of an eye... if I had to guess I would say it took about 20-30 ft worth of travel. As I said.. .I'm not an expert but that braking seems pretty solid to me... and I didn't lock them... perhaps i had a bit more squeeze that I could have done...? I should have locked the rear... and I may have... I remember the bike feeling a bit squirrely during approach.

If any of you have stories of your own experiences to serve as "take it easy" reminders please share :)

My bike should be back next week :)

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank God you're ok. We all could use a little more patience than we have. Your post really made me start thinking about the things I do when riding. A couple of weeks ago we had 2 riders killed in accidents here. One lost control of his bike and hit a guardrail, the other had a cager pull out in front of him on a 4 lane road and he T-Boned him. Makes you take a close look at ways to be more pro-active and safer. Thanks for the post and I hope you are at 100% real soon.

The same day I responded to this post I had a close call with a van! At a 4 way stop - I arrived first with my signal on to make a left turn - trying to make eye contact with the van ahead of me (no luck) - I begin to make left turn and the van in front of me begins to pull ahead and almost hits me! It was my turn to go but I should've known this person hadn't seen me as I couldn't get eye contact with the driver. Some drivers just DON'T see bikes no matter how big they are or how visible you try to make yourself. Don't "go" unless you've made eye contact and absolutely know the person sees what you are doing...another lesson learned today!

... Don't "go" unless you've made eye contact and absolutely know the person sees what you are doing...

I utilize a different concept learned from another thread on HDT. Don't bother to make eye contact with other drivers. Just watch their front wheels. The premise is that you can determine what they will actually do faster by watching their wheel. If the tires ain't stopped, plan accordingly.

With tinted windshields, sunglasses on the other driver, or simply a moron at the wheel, you can get better info faster and more reliably by watching their wheels.

That's how I ride.

And it's how I'm instructing my 16 year old as she learns to drive a car. Watch the wheels, not the driver.

I also reinforce the "Look twice, save a life" mantra to her. I got pretty agitated with her last weekend during a driving lesson, to the point where I made her pull over and quit driving. My words were something to the effect that she must always be looking for motorcycle riders. At every stop sign, at every traffic light, at every turn.

Two days after she gave me the mega silent treatment for chewing her out, a bicyclist was struck at the same intersection she messed up. I got two more days of the silent treatment for pointing that out.

I can tolerate that if it makes her a better driver.

I utilize a different concept learned from another thread on HDT. Don't bother to make eye contact with other drivers. Just watch their front wheels. The premise is that you can determine what they will actually do faster by watching their wheel. If the tires ain't stopped, plan accordingly.

With tinted windshields, sunglasses on the other driver, or simply a moron at the wheel, you can get better info faster and more reliably by watching their wheels.

That's how I ride.

And it's how I'm instructing my 16 year old as she learns to drive a car. Watch the wheels, not the driver.

I also reinforce the "Look twice, save a life" mantra to her. I got pretty agitated with her last weekend during a driving lesson, to the point where I made her pull over and quit driving. My words were something to the effect that she must always be looking for motorcycle riders. At every stop sign, at every traffic light, at every turn.

Two days after she gave me the mega silent treatment for chewing her out, a bicyclist was struck at the same intersection she messed up. I got two more days of the silent treatment for pointing that out.

I can tolerate that if it makes her a better driver.

interesting.. I find I use eye contact on the bike, and wheel watching
in the car.

I guess I'm more used to being not seen on the bike, and I ride slow enough
to make sure I can see the eyes.

Sorry I missed seeing this earlier. Glad to hear you came out of this incident in one piece, and relatively unscathed. Your post contains several words of wisdom and made me think about my impatience.

Yeah, Sorry I didn't see this post last month too, I'm glad you're ok and I'm sure you're back to 120% by now. I hope all is ok with your bike too. Best Tom

Baggh
Glad to hear that you are OK. We all need a reminder every once in a while. Nice write up. It is amazing how things happen so fast yet seams to be in slow motion & detailed. I still think of an accident I had almost 30 years ago. Going on some back roads new paved. Cruising along going into a left handed curve & a pickup with those giant trailer mirrors half way in my lane. Was going a bit fast but did not expect someone in my lane. Had to straighten the bike up. went into a corn field. I remember going for a ways then the next thing I knew an old lady is asking me if I am OK? The driver of the truck just kept on going. Got the bike back up & drove home. Don't remember much of that day, but still think about left hand corners every once in a while.

Back