free website stats program synthetic or standard | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

synthetic or standard

synthetic every time,RED LINE is my favorite,only because Mobile v twin is as common here as chickens teeth.

OK, while we're on the subject, I'd like to ask a question. I'm getting a 92 FXRT with 30k on it soon. Haven't asked yet but I'm guessing it's had petroleum base in it previously. I know I can switch to syn as long as I don't mix 'em. I put amsoil in my '06 88TC at 10k and started getting what Ill call a valve tap about 1k later. Switched back to rev tech 20w50 at 15k and tapping diminished but didn't go away. Was told I'm not hurting anything with amsoil but the tapping drove me crazy. I have no problem with pet. base or syn. Any thoughts on this.

OK, while we're on the subject, I'd like to ask a question. I'm getting a 92 FXRT with 30k on it soon. Haven't asked yet but I'm guessing it's had petroleum base in it previously. I know I can switch to syn as long as I don't mix 'em. I put amsoil in my '06 88TC at 10k and started getting what Ill call a valve tap about 1k later. Switched back to rev tech 20w50 at 15k and tapping diminished but didn't go away. Was told I'm not hurting anything with amsoil but the tapping drove me crazy. I have no problem with pet. base or syn. Any thoughts on this.

Shouldnt matter tho some have complained of oil leaks after switching, do u maybe have an exhaust leak making a tick noise or a slightly loose spark plug, i have seen both, Jack

With a good synthetic the tapping should actually be less I would think, one thing very important on the evo's is keeping the tappet screen clean, if the bike had run dino oils for a long time could have a little sluge built up maybe? Then going to a modern synthetic with all the extra cleanning additives could cause some of the sluge to free up and go through the system perhaps getting stuck in the oil screen causing a slight restriction? Funny it got better when you went back to RevTech.

They do. And unless I subject the bike to some extreme riding condition thats when I change it. IMO you are graining nothing but a warm fuzzy feeling by changing it a half that. At the rate I rack up miles I would be do nothing but changing oil.
I do run good syn oil becuse I like it but even when I ran standard oil never had an oil related engine failure.
Thanks Smitty I feel better now because I was beginning to wonder if I was committing some kind of sin by changing my oil every 5000 miles. I don't ride it hard, I just ride it and occasionally I ride two up. BTW I use Mobil 1 VTwin. I

My 2007 RK gets a dose of amsoil 20w50 synthetic plus redline shockproof heavy synthetic in the trans and hd syntheic primary fluid every 2500

Back