free website stats program Synthetic Oil Mistake | Harley Davidson Forums

Synthetic Oil Mistake

rcwheelman

Hey all. Hope everyone had a good short winter. I'm looking forward to spring as I'm sure many of you are as well. ;)

Heres my problem. This stems from being inexperienced. I've been doing a lot of reading. Also have spoken with a few mechanics, and have come to the conclusion that switching my ride to all syn was a mistake that I cannot take back now.

Just before the bike was put into storage last season I brought her in for the 1000 mile service. They asked me if I wanted syn oil all around and I stupidly said yes.

Now I dunno if I should even attempt to change the oil or oils back? If not in the motor, perhaps just the primary?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Leave it - your bike's engine & drivetrain will be better off for it. Next service, or winter storage, put in your oil choices (Synth in eng/tranny & primary oil in pri).

If you read the label on a container of Mobil 1 you'll see the following

"Compatible with conventional oils". So there is no problem switching from Syn to convetional but unless cost is a factor for you I don't know why you would want to.

Thanks everyone for your quick responses in this matter. It takes a load of worry off on mind and gives me room to relax and enjoy the fine line of HD :)

rcwheelman; Richards questions/statements are good. Did someone tell you the "synthetic oil is so slippery, your bearings will skid, then scar" story? Rubbish.
And it sounds like you had the bike serviced by HD, if so, they probably used HD oil which is only a blend of synthetic and dino oil. Whatever, like others said you're good. You may look into putting a heavier grade synthetic in the trans., 20w50 is kinda light, 75/90 or 75/140 is preferred by many.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more question came to mind, you said the dealer put in syn in all 3 holes, if they put in harley's syn3 I would drain and change to something different. There are many other synthetic oils out there that are better than the syn3. Hopefully someone will chime in with a link that has already been discussed here that will help you. I personally run Mobil1 full synthetic for V twins, Spectro full syn for 6 speed and formula + in the primary. Happy reading and riding.

Trek has the right ingredients excatly , I have changed many bikes over here in Venezuela and the differences are very noticeable by there owners , only Trek forgot the PLedge but lets not change the thread

One more question came to mind, you said the dealer put in syn in all 3 holes, if they put in harley's syn3 I would drain and change to something different. There are many other synthetic oils out there that are better than the syn3. Hopefully someone will chime in with a link that has already been discussed here that will help you. I personally run Mobil1 full synthetic for V twins, Spectro full syn for 6 speed and formula + in the primary. Happy reading and riding.

I'd leave it until the next change and follow what trek has advised here.

I'd leave it until the next change and follow what trek has advised here.

I just switched back, this weekend. I put in Revtech SAE50, Revtech Primary Oil and Revtech Transmission Oil. (It is what a local Indy sells, I would rather give him my money)

The main reason I switched to synthetic five years ago was to cool my bike down. 2004 RoadKing very hot at stop lights etc. That was the dealers rap then.

Since I added cams and got the bike dyno tuned last summer the heat issue is gone. I rode about 400 miles yesterday(first nice day in a loooong time). One advantage of the non- synthetic the bike is quiteer.

Back